Wednesday, March 5, 2014

1 Skillet Pork Chops and Apples

Most of our stuff is in storage (in my parent's garage) right now which does two things.  First, it makes you realize how much stuff you have that you don't really need.  And second, it makes you realize the stuff that you have that you really like.  For me, everything that fits into the second category is in a box marked kitchen.

I want the Kitchenaid, the Ninja blender, and the cast iron skillet back.
I didn't have a cast iron skillet for a long time, mostly because I didn't understand how to "condition" it, but after we got one, it became one of our favorite pans.  Kind of like that song, "If I had a Hammer" by Peter Paul and Mary.  "If I had a hammer, I'd hammer all over this land..."

Well, if my skillet wasn't packed away, I would cook everything in it!  I would cook in my skillet in the morning.  I would cook in the evening.  I would cook cornbread, and dutchbabies, and pork chops!

1 SKILLET PORK CHOPS & APPLES (serves 2)
2 bone-in pork chops (about 1" thick)
salt and pepper
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
2 apples, cored and thinly sliced
4 sprigs fresh thyme, chopped
1 lemon
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
1 c. apple cider
1 c. chicken broth

1.  In an large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.  Season both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.  Move pork chops to a plate and loosely cover with tin foil to keep warm.

2.  Add the onions and apples to the skillet (add a little extra olive oil if needed).  Add salt, pepper and thyme and cook for 5-6 minutes until crisp-tender.  Add in the juice of 1 lemon then remove apples to the plate with the pork chops.

3.  In the same skillet, melt the butter then whisk in the flour.  Cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the stock and cider.  Season with salt and pepper as needed and cook over medium low heat until thickened.

4.  Place the pork chops, apples, and onions back in the skillet and stir to coat with the gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips