Monday, July 15, 2013

Peach Caprese Salad

Sometimes I don't have much to say about a recipe.  I don't have a story about the ingredients or the finished product.  I don't even have some crazy connection between the food and some nostalgic moment in my life.
I like caprese salads and sandwiches.  I also like peaches.  Tomatoes and peaches are in season and I'm growing basil on my deck.  So there you have it.  The motivation.  It just sounded good.

The ripe peaches sitting on my counter were soft and sweet.  The tomatoes smelled earthy and tasted totally different from the tomatoes we get in the middle of the winter or even spring, for that matter.  A recipe where I had everything I needed on hand and the setting was just right.
I watch the show 'Food Network Star,' and they always want the contestants to have a personal story or some sort of attachment to the ingredients they are cooking with, but can't we all just appreciate food for the sake of the food?  Peach Caprese Salad is a salad for the sake of using fresh, summer ingredients that taste exactly the way they are supposed to taste.  If you want to attach an emotion to it, go ahead, but make sure it's a good one.  And if you don't, just enjoy!


PEACH CAPRESE SALAD
3 peaches
1 - 1 1/2 c. cherry tomatoes
1/2 c. mozzarella balls
salt & pepper
olive oil
balsamic vinegar
~ 1/8 c. fresh basil

1.  Slice peaches into wedges, place in large bowl.

2.  Cut tomatoes in half, add in with peaches.  Stir in mozzarella and basil.

3.  Mix with salt, pepper, olive oil & vinegar to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips