Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Peach and Chicken Sausage Kebabs

Have you ever had a kebab in Europe?  Like the kind where they have the large piece of mystery meat spinning in the window (basically the same thing as a gyro).  They put it in a pita and top it with all sorts of veggies and sauces.  When we lived in Germany, Austin ate a lot of those.  I ate some, but I just couldn't deal with the major tummyache every day.
I don't know why this type of kebab and that type of kebab share the same name.  Meat on a stick?  Shouldn't a corndog be called a kebab then, too?  I don't get it.

This type of kebab does not give me a tummyache - first major benefit.  Second benefit - the food is already bite size.  I like any food that allows me to be super lazy.  Third bonus - it's hot out and you don't have to turn on an oven or a stove to make these!  Plus, they're pretty and people will like them and they will associate you with them, so then they'll like you!
Kebabs are a total winner for outside eating with friends.  Since the chicken sausage is already cooked too, all you're really doing is heating them up and putting pretty grill lines on them.  No risk of overcooking certain parts of your kebab and undercooking others.  So let's not stress over dinner.  Let's not stress even if we're having people over for dinner.


PEACH and CHICKEN SAUSAGE KEBABS
peaches
chicken sausage
olive oil
salt & pepper
fresh thyme
***adjust amounts of all ingredients to serve your group (about 1 peach per person and 1 sausage)

1.  Slice peaches and place in a bowl.  Drizzle with olive oil (about 1 Tbsp. per peach).  Add salt, pepper, and fresh, chopped thyme.  Mix it all together (your hands are really awesome tools for this).

2.  Slice up your sausage into 1 inch chunks.

3.  Alternate the sausage and peaches on skewers.  Cook over the grill until the sausage is cooked all the way through, rotating occasionally.

4 comments:

  1. When I saw this picture I had to check out this recipe. I have to say I have never seen anything like this, and I am excited to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stumbled upon it, Aaron - please let me know what you think!

      Delete
  2. We tried these the other night. We used a chicken habanero sausage and the sweet and spicy was a pretty good mix.

    Reed was skeptical but, he ate a lot so I think he must have liked them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought of doing it with a spicy sausage too, just 'cause I like everything spicy. I'm glad Reed choked them down :)

      Delete

Blogging tips