Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Blueberry Rhubarb Pie

Did you know it's Pie and Beer Day today?  Unless you're from Utah and not Mormon, you probably did not know there was such a thing.

I'll explain.  In Utah (and other states?), Mormons celebrate Pioneer day on July 24th.  There's a lot that goes into it and I'm not going to pretend to be an expert.  All I know is that some people dress up like pioneers and they walk along trails with covered wagons.  Also, for the most part, it's a paid holiday from work.
So naturally, a new holiday had to spring up.  Enter "Pie and Beer Day."  Say it fast.  It kinda sounds like Pioneer Day right?  That's what they were going for.  Even though Utah's liquor laws get a bad rap in the rest of the country, there are some pretty amazing microbreweries popping up.  I don't claim to be an expert on beer, but I do like to try as many different kinds as I can, and some of my favorites are still from Utah breweries.  (Here's some more info. on Pie and Beer Day.)

That being said, I also do not claim to be an expert on pie, but I definitely like to try as many different kinds of pie as possible.  And after I did a quick search on my site for "pie," well...maybe I am a pie connoisseur.  I don't know if there is some standard to measure myself against, all I know is I like pretty much all pie (except Mincemeat - which I don't know if I've actually tried, but it sounds weird).
If you've never thought of combining blueberry and rhubarb, start thinking about it!  The tartness of the rhubarb balances out the sweetness of the (mid-summer) blueberries perfectly!  If you need an excuse, just remember it's Pie and Beer Day - what more of an excuse to eat pie and drink beer do you need?


BLUEBERRY RHUBARB PIE
2 pie crusts
1 egg
2 Tbsp. water
1 1/3 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
2 c. rhubarb, chopped
3 c. blueberries
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
cinnamon
nutmeg
2 Tbsp. butter

1.  Roll out bottom pie crust.  Create an egg wash by combining egg and water, then brush the bottom of the crust with this.

2.  Mix together sugar and cornstarch, set aside.

3.  Pour chopped up rhubarb into the prepared pie crust.  Cover with 1/2 of the sugar mixture.

4.  Layer on the blueberries and then the remaining sugar mixture.

5.  Sprinkle lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg over the fruit.

6.  Dot with butter.  Cover with 2nd pic crust and vent.  Brush with egg wash and sprinkle a little extra sugar on top.

7.  Cover the edges of the pie with foil and bake at 425˚ for 40-50 minutes (take the cover off of the edges for the last 10 minutes, if necessary, to brown).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips