Friday, September 19, 2014

Happy Hour: Ginger Simple Syrup

It's pumpkin spice latte season.  I know.  We all know.

I think shortening it to PSL is a little bonkers personally, but you're free to disagree (and I know many of you will!).
I've only had 1 pumpkin spice latte in my life and - don't hurt me - I wasn't that impressed.  I've never been a huge pumpkin person though.  I don't even like pumpkin pie.

Now that you all hate me, I will tell you about the seasonal Starbucks drink that I do think is the bee's knees: Gingerbread Lattes!

They claim you can only get one during the holidays even though I know they have the ginger syrup year-round.  So if you haven't tried one, you should.

Or better yet, make your own Ginger Simple Syrup and have it whenever you please!  Also, when you make it yourself, no one's going to tell you can't mix it into a seasonal cocktail, just sayin'.
GINGER SIMPLE SYRUP
2 oz. ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. peppercorns
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. water

1.  Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a simmer.

2.  Simmer for about 30 minutes until the syrup thickens slightly and it has a strong, ginger scent.

3.  Strain well and funnel into an airtight container.  Store in the fridge for up to 1 month.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips