Monday, September 15, 2014

Cucumber Fruit Salsa

For a few months this year, we lived with Austin's parents while I was looking for a permanent job.  And they were great.

No, really.  They were.
I'm not saying I'm not enjoying our own space, but as far as living with in-laws goes, it was probably the best possible scenario.

The point is, when we lived there, we ate a lot of chips and salsa.  A lot, a lot.

Austin's parents are big snackers.  I'm not saying all the time, but often, we'd all sit around a bowl of salsa and a bag of tortilla chips and that was dinner.
Even though I really like sitting down to a full meal, I miss the salsa dinner too.  There was literally no fuss.  Besides the one bowl, there was no cleanup.  No thought went into it.  There was no indecision when the questions started.

"What do you want for dinner?"  "I don't care what sounds good to you?"  None of that.

I know what I'm having for dinner tonight.

CUCUMBER FRUIT SALSA
1/2 cucumber
1 green bell pepper
1 tomato
1/2 red onion
1/2 orange, peeled and segmented
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 Tbsp. minced cilantro
1/2 Tbsp. minced parsley
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. hot sauce
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 peach, peeled
1/2 banana, peeled

1.  Coarsely chop the cucumber, bell pepper, tomato, red onion and orange.  Mix together in a medium bowl.

2.  Stir in lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, garlic, salt, hot sauce and pepper.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to bring the flavors together.

3.  Just before serving, chop the peach and banana then stir into the salsa.  Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips