Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Baked Brie

In case you didn't already know, there are cheeses that I like to consider 'grownup cheeses.'  Brie is a total grownup cheese.  It might as well be a whole different food group from American and string cheeses.  You never see kids requesting brie or Muenster or Gorgonzola.  Well, maybe you do, but I never ate it as a child.  To be honest, I never even ate it as a young adult, until recently.  Am I still a young adult?  Let's just say that I am.  Thanks, you're so nice!
Baked brie...that's really stepping it up.  That's pretty much full on adulthood. 

Every year we have a Christmas party at my parents' house on Christmas Eve and my sister's been bothering me about what should be on the menu.  This is all I've come up with so far.  It's festive, it looks fancier than it is, and it's easy.  Sounds like it's gong to make the list to me.

BAKED BRIE
1 (7-8 inch) wheel brie
1/4 c. dried cherries, chopped
1/4 c. sliced almonds
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 sheets puff pastry
2 eggs, beaten

1.  Toast almonds in a skillet over low heat until golden brown.

2.  Slice brie in half horizontally.  Sprinkle cherries, almonds and brown sugar over one half, top with other half.

3.  Roll out one slice of puff pastry on a piece of parchment paper (it should be able to wrap all the way around the brie).  Place brie on middle of puff pastry, wrap edges up and around the cheese.  Brush with egg wash.

4.  Cut a circle the same size as the brie out of the second sheet of puff pastry.  Place on top of the brie wheel (this sheet will cover the messy, folded edges of the first sheet of puff pastry).  Decorate with cutouts of any shape made from the leftover puff pastry and brush with egg wash.

5.  Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Bake at 400˚ for 20-30 minutes, until it turns golden brown.  Turn oven down to 325˚ and cook 20 minutes more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips