Friday, March 8, 2013

Ricotta Bread (bread machine recipe)

I've already mentioned how I love making bread.  So much so, that my parents snuck their seldom-used bread maker into our boxes when we were packing to move to Washington DC in 2011.

And I can almost guarantee that I was the only freshman in college in 2006 whipping up fresh loaves of bread in her dorm.  Right next to my easy mac and my bags of Oreos, I had a big bag of bread flour.  In the mini fridge, next to the beer, I had eggs, milk and yeast.  So yeah, I was (am) a weirdo.  But man, did my dorm smell good!
This ricotta bread is a recipe I discovered in my dorm days and still it is my favorite homemade bread recipe that I've found.  Sure, sometimes at high altitude it sinks in the middle.  But, even when it falls, it is fluffy and light and so so easy to eat the whole loaf.  It also slices really well and makes great toast!


RICOTTA BREAD
1/3 c. milk
1 c. ricotta cheese
2 Tbsp. butter
1 egg
2 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 1/4 c. bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. yeast

1.  In the order listed, place all ingredients in your bread machine.  Follow manufacturer's directions.  (I cook mine on the white bread setting with light crust color).

12 comments:

  1. I can vouch for the dorm room bread making. The cinnamon raisin bread was especially memorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've made that bread since the dorms! I will have to find the recipe again :)

      Delete
  2. I love bread machine and I like this recipe.It's so delightfull!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tania, it is seriously the best bread machine recipe I have found so far - I think you're going to love it!

      Delete
  3. I love ricotta, it goes really well with Spinach but I guess that would be hard to introduce to this recipe? Still, I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben, I'm not really sure how to add spinach into this either, but let me know if it turns out well! Also, FYI, you can't taste the ricotta in this bread much, more than anything it just makes it super moist.

      Keep me posted,
      Sarah

      Delete
  4. This is an absolutely fantastic recipe. I'd love to feature it on my site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Peter. I would love to have it featured on your site, just please include a link back to this page. Let me know if you have any other questions - and please let me know when you post it so I can direct people to your site, as well (sarah@callmefudge.com)!

      Delete
  5. I just made this last night. It is delicious. I totally forgot to add the sugar but it still tastes great. I did have to bake it for an extra 20 mins in my bread machine because it wasn't done. It was totally worth it. It slices nice and has a great texture. Yum! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the sugar is just to help it rise, but if yours came out without falling, then it's all good! There's definitely some variation in bread machines. The texture is the reason this is my favorite bread machine recipe...it can be so hard to get it right! Thanks for commenting to let me know how it went!

      Delete
    2. I am new to using my bread maker. I am trying this recipe now. Just wondering...before cooking bread, should you spray the pan?

      Delete
    3. I don't spray my pan, but it's a nonstick pan. I would read the instructions that your machine came with to make sure, but mine always comes out really easily without spraying or buttering the pan. Let me know how it turns out!!

      Delete

Blogging tips