Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Kale Apple Smoothie

It's that time of year for people to take things that are not naturally green and make them green.  Green rivers?  Not that often and not that green even when they are.  Green cakes?  Not usually.  Green beer? Nope.
I don't know why, but every year around St. Patrick's Day, people forget all about the foods that are naturally green and instead add food dye to everything that's not naturally green.  I don't get it.  I mean, vegetables are green.  A lot of fruits are green.  And that means even smoothies can be green.

Now, I'll admit, when I first read through this recipe from Real Simple, I was skeptical.  Blended kale, celery and apple juice?  Well, I was very pleasantly surprised.  Plus, I finally felt like I fit in with all the Boulder hippies drinking their unknown green drinks.  (This one has no mud in it I promise.)


KALE APPLE SMOOTHIE (serves 1)
Recipe from Real Simple
3/4 c. chopped kale (remove thick stems and stalks)
1 celery stalk, chopped
1/2 banana
1/2 c. apple juice
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. ice

1.  Blend it all up until smooth and frothy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips