Thursday, March 7, 2013

Corn Frittata

Let me tell you a story about eggs.  Regular eggs from a chicken.

When my family first moved to Utah (when I was 11), my aunt who lived in Park City, was asked to house-sit for a friend of hers who had a farm.  A farm with real, live chickens.  Chickens that laid eggs.  My cousin and I went to house-sit with her and we "helped" collect the eggs.  Mostly it was me giggling hysterically and my cousin being chased by the rooster that apparently didn't like him.
Anyway, when we went inside, my Aunt Mary whipped up the best scrambled eggs I have ever had in my entire life!  Since then, I haven't been able to stop thinking about fresh eggs.  Eggs that are still warm, unpasteurized and naturally perfect.

In the 14 years that have passed since then, my Aunt Mary has acquired some chickens of her own.  So when I went home for Christmas, that was my one request - some fresh eggs.
Don't worry, I did not make this frittata with Christmas-time eggs.  I made it in December, but forgot to post it since then.  If you aren't lucky enough to have an aunt that collects eggs each morning, you can use regular grocery store eggs.  Or better yet, you could look into local farms that sell eggs at a farmstand (it really does exist - at least here in the hippy, granola town of Boulder it does).  

CORN FRITTATA
8 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. dried basil
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 tomato, chopped
1 can corn (drained)
1/2 c. cheddar

1.  In a cast iron skillet, saute onion and bell pepper in olive oil until crisp-tender.  Stir in corn and tomatoes.

2.  Mix together eggs and basil.  Pour over veggies.  Cook over medium heat.  As the eggs begin to set, run spatula around the edge of the skillet - letting the uncooked eggs run under.  Continue cooking in this way until almost set (the top should be moist still).

3.  Sprinkle with cheese.  

4.  Set under broiler (4-5 inches from heat), and cook for 1-2 minutes - just until eggs are set and cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips