Monday, February 4, 2013

Vanilla Cupcakes

There's a problem in American school systems.  The problem: the food.  I'm sure you've had plenty of time to form your own opinion on the matter, and while I love my desserts (obviously), my opinion is that we should get rid of a lot of the junk served in school cafeterias.
Maybe I can illustrate my point better.  In middle school, almost every day I ate 1 (or 2) "pink cookies" and a strawberry kiwi Snapple.  That's it.  The pink cookies came wrapped in plastic.  They were not homemade.  They were not cafeteria-made.  They were most likely made in China, packed with preservatives, and then shipped to the hands of 13 year-olds all over the country.

So here's my official stance on school lunches: I don't mind desserts.  I don't mind that kids are eating chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes.  What I do mind is that the food is prepackaged, frozen, and full of chemicals to keep it "fresh."
That's pretty much my stance on the way everyone should eat.  If you want to eat cookies, that's fine but make them yourself.  If you like fried chicken, take the time and prepare it yourself.  At least then you know what's going into it.  Anyone who knows me, knows I don't eat "healthy," but what I do eat is homemade.

In my opinion, and probably every other kid I went to middle school with, these "pink cupcakes" are better than the "pink cookies."  And when you put your own time and energy into your baked goods, they will taste all that much better.
VANILLA CUPCAKES
1 c. butter, room temp.
1 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
5 eggs
2 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
For the Icing:
1/2 c. butter, room temp.
2 c. +/- powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt
3-5 Tbsp. cream
2-3 drops red food coloring
sprinkles, optional

1.  Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.  Add vanilla. Mix in eggs one at a time.

2.  Whisk together flour and baking powder.  Slowly add to butter mixture.

3.  Place 18 paper cups into muffin tins.  Pour batter into prepared pans.  Bake at 325˚ for 20 minutes.  After cooling in the muffin pans for 5 minutes, remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.

4.  Prepare the icing: beat butter and powdered sugar together first.  Add vanilla and salt.  Slowly add cream until icing reaches the desired consistency.  Taste test and adjust ingredients as needed.  If it is too wet add more sugar, too dry, add more cream/milk.  Mix in food coloring until the icing is light pink.

5.  After the cupcakes are completely cool, spread icing over the top.  Decorate with sprinkles (optional).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips