Monday, January 7, 2013

Sweet Potato Enchiladas

Today, I watched some trashy reality TV.  Not really much different than every other day.  But it was!  It was different because a girl I went to high school with, was on the trashy reality TV show!
It's always weird when you see someone you know out of place.  Especially weird when you see someone you know on national TV.  But it got me thinking.  Mostly, about my career as a TV star, and how there never will be a TV career for me.
First of all, I don't have the look.  Second of all, I don't really like to be in the middle of a bunch of drama.  I'm pretty sure I would quit 10 minutes through the first episode.  There's no way I would last.  Plus, who wants to watch a girl who likes to wear zip-up hoodies read books and make sweet potato enchiladas?  That's right.  No one.
I could never have a show on the Food Network either because I don't look dainty and graceful when I eat cupcakes or really anything for that matter.  I prefer to just let the food speak for itself.

SWEET POTATO ENCHILADAS*
Recipe from Vegetarian Times
2 jars red enchilada sauce
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 lb. sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
15 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
16 oz. jar salsa
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 chipotle chile, rinsed and chopped
1/2 c. water
15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
12 oz. round queso fresco
tortillas
2 limes, sliced
sour cream

1.  In large saucepan/dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.  Saute onion until soft.  Add sweet potatoes, tomatoes, salsa, garlic, chile, and 1/2 c. water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer for 30-40 minutes (or until potatoes are done).

2.  Mash potatoes.  Stir in black beans and half of the cheese.

3.  Grease a 9x13" baking dish.  Spread 1/2 c. enchilada sauce in bottom of pan.  Assemble enchiladas, placing seam side down in dish.  Cover with the rest of the enchilada sauce.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top of the enchiladas.

4.  Bake at 350˚ for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven and switch oven to the broil setting.  Broil on high for 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and golden.  Let rest 10 minutes before serving.  Garnish with lime wedges, sour cream (and avocado).

*Tip: freeze half of the filling and save for later.  (Whole batch serves 8.)

4 comments:

  1. Just to let you know that your link to Food on Friday: Berries and Currants was featured in my Need Some Inspiration? Series today. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look sensational. I love the combination of black beans and sweet potato. I must try these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do and let me know what you think!

      Delete

Blogging tips