Monday, January 21, 2013

Salted Peanut Chews

Some of you know already that I am a yoga instructor.  If you didn't, now you do.  

11 days ago, I started a 40 day challenge with the studio where I teach.  Basically it entails 6 out of 7 days a week of yoga, for 40 days.  
There's an aspect of this program that is centered around nutrition so it's a more complete experience.  And instead of focusing on what I can or can't eat, I'm supposed to be entering the world of "intuitive nutrition."  Essentially, being more mindful of what I eat and noticing how I feel after I eat it.  Problem is: this is totally foreign to me!
You'd think that for writing about food and taking pictures of food and reading about food, I would have some thoughts about what I eat, but most of the time, I just shove handfuls of stuff into my mouth without ever thinking about it.  (Major reason why I have to spend so much time at the yoga studio!)
So, first step: pay attention to what I eat in a day.  Today's list:
  • a cup of coffee with milk and sugar
  • 1/2 grapefruit, sprinkled with a little sugar
  • 1 brownie (recipe coming soon)
  • leftover mashed potatoes
  • half a cheese sandwich
I think the reason I'm having a hard time with this intuitive eating is because most of the food I eat on a day-to-day basis is pretty forgettable.  Some foods do stick out though - mostly the ones that show up on this blog.  
Before Christmas, I made these Salted Peanut Chews, and I remember every bite!  And I ate a lot of bites!  (I'm not sure, but I think Dingo remembers them too.)

SALTED PEANUT CHEWS
Recipe from Aunt Linda
Crust:
1 1/2 c. flour
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
2 egg yolks
3 c. mini marshmallows
Topping:
2/3 c. corn syrup
1/4 c. butter
2 tsp. vanilla
12 oz. peanut butter chips
2 c. salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
2 c. rice crispies

1.  Combine all crust ingredients except marshmallows.  Press into ungreased 9x13" pan.  Bake 12-15 minutes at 350˚ until it's light golden brown.

2.  Remove from oven.  Sprinkle with marshmallows and bake 1-2 minutes until marshmallows start to puff up.  Remove from oven and cool.

3.  In a large saucepan, heat syrup, butter, vanilla, and chips until melted and smooth, stirring constantly.

4.  Remove from heat.  Stir in cereal and peanuts.  Spread over marshmallows.  Chill.  Cut into bars.

2 comments:

  1. These look terrific, but how did you feel after chowing down on a few?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - I felt awesome...and completely satisfied!

      Delete

Blogging tips