Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Lentil Soup

Let's talk about new year's resolutions.  Yea or nay?

I, personally, am pro resolutions.  No, I never keep them.  Yes, I forget what they are by the 2nd week of February.  But still, I like to write them out and mull them over, nonetheless.
Of course I have a fitness/health goal (or 2).  Because, you know, you kind of have to.  I have a career goal, and every year, I set a goal to read a certain number of books (30 this year).

This year, I decided to be a little more ambitious and take on a 365 challenge.  Yes, it's only the 2nd, but I have to say, I am doing extremely well!  The challenge is to take a photo every day of the year.  (I will start posting them here once a week, so you can hold me accountable.)  It's a great way to become a better photographer and if you have a hard time keeping a journal, think of this as a photo journal!  So, you should do it too!
And while I'm deciding your resolutions for you, your 2nd resolution should be: cook at home.  I mean, not all the time.  We all like to order pizza and go out to eat sometimes, but most of the time.  If you are reading a food blog, chances are, you like to cook so this doesn't really apply.  But if you don't like to cook or you know someone who doesn't like to cook - it's probably because they don't know how easy it is.

So to get people started cooking, remember: pie is, in fact, easy.  Another thing that's really easy: Soup!

LENTIL SOUP
Recipe from Alton Brown
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. chopped carrots
1/2 c. chopped celery
2 tsp. salt
1 lb. lentils, rinsed
1 c. tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 quarts chicken broth
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. cumin

1.  In a large pot/dutch oven, saute onion, carrots, and celery with salt.  Cook until onions are translucent.

2.  Add the lentils, tomatoes, chicken broth, and spices.  Bring mixture to boil over high heat.  Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 35-40 minutes (until lentils are tender).

3.  Use an immersion blender, puree mixture to the desired consistency (if you don't have an immersion blender, use a regular blender - pureeing 1-2 cups at a time.

98XGNG8J733E

6 comments:

  1. Lentil soup?!?!?!? That's bean soup, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just catching up on your posts and caught the "pie is easy"! Maybe that should be my resolution, a pie in the year 2013~ Love your resolution though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't believe you haven't made pie! 2013 is the year!!

      Delete

Blogging tips