Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Kale and Brussels Sprouts Salad

Last week, I got a "fancy girl phone" aka iPhone.  I have been avoiding the whole smartphone thing for a long time because one of my biggest pet peeves is seeing people walking around on their phone all the time.  Even worse than the aimless walking through the grocery store, is when I see people out to dinner ignoring each other, looking for something on their phone that might be more interesting than the person they are with.
Anyway, I finally gave in, realizing that I can have the phone without the bad habits.  So, I am now an iPhone toting, kale eating, 21st century woman.  That's really all it takes.

A little about kale: kale is one of those vegetables that's been around forever, but it has gotten revamped lately.  It's really the go-to healthy vegetable.  For that reason, when I had to make something to bring to a party for my yoga studio, I figured it better have kale in it.  Kale and brussels sprouts!  I don't think it gets healthier than that!
KALE AND BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD
Recipe from Bon Appetit
1/4 c. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. salt
black pepper
2 bunches of kale, chopped
12 oz. brussels sprouts
1/2 c. olive oil
1/3 c. almonds, with skins
1 c. grated parmesan cheese

1.  Combine lemon juice, dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, salt and pepper.  Cover and set aside to let the flavors meld.

2.  In a large bowl, combine chopped kale and grated (with a cheese grater) brussels sprouts.

3.  In a skillet, heat enough olive oil to coat bottom of pan.  Add almonds.  Toast for about 2 minutes, until almonds are golden brown in spots.  Transfer to a paper towel lined plate to cool and dry.

4.  Add olive oil to dressing mixture.  Combine kale mixture, parmesan, and dressing.  Toss to coat.  Right before serving, garnish with almonds.  (You can make all of the individual parts ahead of time.)

2 comments:

  1. This actually sounds pretty tasty for a healthy food. 1/4 of what lemon juice? cup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is tasty for healthy food! yes, 1/4 cup...i will change that - thanks!

      Delete

Blogging tips