Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Leap Year! (+ Cheesy Broccoli 2x Baked Potatoes)

Leap Day is a weird thing isn't it?  I remember when I was little thinking it would be infinitely cool if I was born on Leap Day.  Simultaneously, I was really upset by the idea of only getting a birthday cake once every 4 years.  If you recall back to this post, you'll remember how obsessed I am with my birthday cake!

Another weird thing about Leap Day is that I associate it with leprechauns.  So this one is completely in my own head.  Some weird association with "Lords a Leaping" and St. Patrick's Day right around the corner.  I really don't know how it works. 

All I know for sure is that Leap Year should be an extra day on the weekend!  Every 4 years, we should get another long weekend.  You can take your extra Wednesday, rotation of the Earth.  I don't need it!

So there's that.  Let's make some twice baked potatoes and call it dinner.

CHEESY BROCCOLI 2x BAKED POTATOES
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray
4 big russet potatoes
olive oil
salt & pepper
1 head of broccoli
1/2 c. sour cream
1 c. cream or half & half
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar

1.  Preheat oven to 425. 

2.  Poke several holes into potatoes with a fork.  Place on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake for about 45-60 minutes depending on the size of the potatoes (check them by poking with a fork to see if they are soft enough).
3.  While the potatoes are cooling, heat about 1 inch of water in a large skillet to a simmer.  Add chopped broccoli and cook for about 5 minutes - until broccoli is tender.

4.  Cut potatoes in half hot dog way and scoop out the insides (don't get too close to the skin, so you won't break through it). 

5.  Add potatoes, sour cream, cream and 1 c. cheese to an electric mixer.  Combine all ingredients.  Stir in cooked and drained broccoli.

6.  Spoon potato/broccoli mix back into potato skins.  Top with reserved cheese and bake for another 10 minutes (until the cheese is melted).

4 comments:

  1. Omg these look amazing. I know what I'm buying at the grocery store when I go next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were pretty tasty! I definitely only ate that for dinner, but if you want to be classier than me, you could have it as a side dish :) I should say, I KNOW you're classier than me so I'm sure that's what you'll do!

      Your sister might appreciate these too - there's not much more comforting than potatoes and cheese :)

      Delete
  2. Best part of that=1 head of broccoli :))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you call it?! It's a head of cauliflower and isn't cauliflower just white broccoli that doesn't taste as good? :)

      Delete

Blogging tips