Thursday, February 2, 2012

Chicken Curry

I don't know what Punxsutawney Phil is looking at.  I didn't see any shadow, and I don't see any sign of winter for that matter either! 

Yesterday was a very comfortable 72 degrees in Arlington.  I know Virginia is technically part of the South, but really?!  72 seems a bit much for February first.  Not that I'm complaining!  Snow in DC is just a pain.  Maybe if I was back home (in Utah), I would be wanting snow, but since I'm nowhere close to a mountain, sure I'll take spring.  In fact, let's get those cherry blossoms to bloom!
But if it turns out that Phil is onto something, you might be craving something warm and comforting for the next month and a half.  Maybe something with a little bit of spice too.

CHICKEN CURRY
Recipe adapted from Rachael Ray Magazine
1 c. quinoa
2 t curry powder
1 (13.5oz) coconut milk
4 chicken breasts (cut into 1" cubes)
2 t five-spice powder
(I also like to add 1 t. chili powder to make it a little hotter)
1 bell pepper
1/2 onion
2/3 c. mushrooms
2 c. kale

1.  Toss together chicken, five spice, 1/2 t. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper.  Heat 2 t. olive oil over med-high heat until shimmery.  Increase heat to high and stir fry chicken until just cooked through (about 6 minutes).  Remove chicken from skillet and set aside.

2.  In same skillet, add bell pepper, mushroom, onion and kale.  Cook over medium heat until veggies soften.
3.  Meanwhile, cook quinoa according to instructions on package.

4.  At the same time, in a small saucepan, heat 1 T. olive oil over medium-high heat.  Stir in curry powder.  Cook for 1 minute.  Add coconut milk and cook until reduced by half. (7 minutes)
5.  Mix coconut milk and chicken in with the vegetables and simmer for 1 minute more.  Serve over quinoa (or rice).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips