Friday, February 17, 2012

Creamy Banana Cream Pie

So, tomorrow's the big move.  A lot of trips up and down the 59 stairs.  Luckily, we are going to get up tomorrow morning and go to the donut shop so we have the fuel to get through the day.

If you follow me on Pinterest, you know that I've been in a bit of a donut craze lately and while I would love to make my own, the kitchen will be packed and I probably should stay on topic anyway.  So Dunkin' Donuts it is.

I can't wait to have a functioning kitchen again.  It's my place to throw my headphones in and relax.  Knead some dough.  Preheat the oven.  Work out the frustration and watch the magic happen. 

After we unpack, I'm going to make these Maple Bacon Donuts from A Cosy Kitchen, and since it's supposed to snow on Sunday, I'm having a big mug of hot chocolate with these homemade marshmallows.  For dinner I will make this Curried Squash and Sweet Potato Soup from Sundays with Jennie!  And it will be perfect!
I don't know what your plans are for this weekend, but you should probably work this pie into it.

BANANA CREAM PIE
Recipe adapted from Aunt Susie
1 sleeve graham crackers (20 halves), crushed (in a plastic bag by hand or in the food processor)
1 stick butter, melted
1/4 c. sugar
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 c. powdered sugar
8 oz. cool whip
3 large firm bananas, sliced
1 package (3.4 oz) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 1/3 c. cold milk

1.  Mix together graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar.  Press into bottom of pie plate.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes (watch to make sure it doesn't burn).  Cool completely.

2.  Beat cream cheese and sugar.  Fold in 1 cup of cool whip.  Spread into the crust.
3.  Lay bananas on top of cream cheese layer.
4.  In a bowl, whisk together pudding mix and milk.  Pour over bananas immediately.
5.  Top with remaining whipped cream.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.
*Note - this is the only time you will ever see me using cool whip and not real whipped cream.  You could substitute the cool whip for homemade whipped cream if you are going to serve the pie to guests/large family and eat the whole thing in one day, otherwise the cream will separate and not save well overnight.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I had to adapt it so that Austin could eat it too because remember how Aunt Susie makes it with the pecan crust? I was really excited when I found it in the family cookbook...thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Until you said something the other day (when I was doing the roundup post for National Pie Day), I didn't realize how many pies I have made lately!

      Delete

Blogging tips