Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad

Happy Valentine's Day!

Tonight, Austin and I are going out to some tacky restaurant where the waiters are judged based on how many pieces of 'flair' they have.  We're going to pretend like we're being ironic about it, but really we're going to love it. 

I don't want to go out to some fancy restaurant being judged by the other patrons and the wait staff because people can't figure out if we're dating or if we're siblings.  I just want to go out to eat so I don't have to cook dinner tonight.  I want to enjoy our time together without distractions or to-do lists and I want to eat some stuffed potato skins.  Isn't that what we all want really?
Tomorrow, we can be healthy and frugal again.  Tomorrow, we can prepare a delicious whole grain and veggie filled meal.  Tonight, let's eat whatever we want and enjoy the company we have, whether it's a husband, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, best friend, or family member. 

For tomorrow:
SWEET POTATO QUINOA SALAD
3 small/2 medium sweet potatoes
1 shallot
2 cloves garlic
a couple handfuls of kale
red bell pepper
1 onion
olive oil
1 c. quinoa
balsamic vinegar

1.  Peel sweet potatoes, cut into ~1" cubes.  Finely chop shallots and garlic.  Cube other veggies.
2.  Evenly spread veggies out onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

3.  Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
4.  Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes.

5.  When you have about 15 minutes left for the veggies to finish roasting, prepare quinoa as per directions on package.  (You could also make this with any other type of grain or rice you prefer.)

6.  Remove vegetables from baking dish into a large mixing bowl.  Toss with balsamic vinegar and more olive oil to taste.  Serve over bed of quinoa.

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy and I'm always looking for new quinoa recipes. This one looks like a keeper!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mrs. Sale! I have just recently started eating quinoa and kale and all of that good stuff and I am so addicted! I think half of my pins on pinterest are quinoa based!

      Delete

Blogging tips