Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Ginger Cookies with Lemon Glaze

This past summer I had the opportunity to go on a trip of a lifetime (literally) and I saw soooo many animals.  We thought when we landed in Kenya that we were going to be really unlucky and only see pigeons and rats or something.  Luckily we were wrong.  We saw all of these animals, and then some. 

You know what though?  My favorite animal is still the moose.  I love how they look like they are going to fall over on their faces because they have big, burly chests and spindly little legs.  I love them even though I once was chased (on foot) by a moose and almost trampled to death.  I love their little turkey gobblers. 
So naturally, when I spotted these cookie cutters at Ikea, I had to come up with a recipe really quick so I could use them!

GINGER COOKIES with LEMON GLAZE
4 3/4 c. flour
2 inches fresh ginger (substitute with 4 tsp. dried)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. shortening
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c. molasses

LEMON GLAZE
2 c. powdered sugar
zest of 2 lemons
juice of 2 lemons

1.  Preheat oven to 350.

2.  In large mixing bowl, combine flour, ginger, soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt.  Set aside.
3.  With electric mixer, beat shortening until fluffy (about 30 seconds).  Add sugar.  Add eggs one at a time.  Add in molasses.
4.  Combine wet and dry ingredients.

5.  Press plastic wrap over the top of the dough (in the mixing bowl) and refrigerate at least 2 hours (or overnight).

6.  Roll out dough (about a third at a time and leave the rest in the fridge) about 1/4" thick. 
7.  Cut out cookies and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
8.  Bake for 11-13 minutes.  Let cool completely on a wire rack.

9.  Whisk together ingredients for lemon glaze and pour into a shallow dish.

10.  Dip the tops of the cookies into the glaze and place on a wire rack to allow any excess to drip off.

2 comments:

  1. You did it again, Sarah!!! These look wonderful! Another recipe I want to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Please let me know your review, if you do make them! I love it so much when I hear about people trying out my recipes...especially ones like this one that I made up myself!

      Delete

Blogging tips