Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Banana Nut Roll

Yesterday, I gave in.  I couldn't stand it anymore and the issue had to be addressed.  I needed a haircut.  Bad.

Back home, I go to a woman that I trust.  I can show her a picture of what I want, she'll tell me what will and will not work with my hair/face, and she gives me something better than I had hoped for.  Every. Single. Time.
In DC, I tell them that I want a trim and my layers need some work since they've all grown out.  I give them something simple.  Something I think they can't mess up.

I sit down in the chair with high hopes.  They tell me how my hair is a giant knot (I know that already).  They yank on my hair, breaking combs (not really, but it came close).  The stylist scrunches up their face while they look at my coif.  Their breathing is labored.  They "trim" off 2-3 inches of hair.  They forget all mention of layers.  I walked out with what I like to call "girl haircut."
Girl Haircut is called that because it is the generic style of every (and I mean every) white girl in DC.  If you were wondering if there is a similar phenomenon in men's styles.  You bet there is!  "Boy Haircut" occurs under similar circumstances.  Said boy walks into salon, lays out pictures of what he wants.  Describes it in much detail.  Snip snip, a little gel, and out walks boy haircut.

But you know what?  Next time I get my hair cut, it will be different.  I won't have to look like everyone else in this city.  You know why?!  Because I won't be living in this city anymore!  Austin and I are moving to Boulder, Colorado (I hope you read that in a Portlandia-esque tone, because that's how we say it) in just 2 months!

We couldn't be more excited for the move back West - closer to our families, closer to nature and closer to getting Dingo!  If you have any recommendations for a good hair stylist in Boulder, I'm all ears :)
This deserves a celebration!  In my mind 'celebration' can mean one thing and one thing only: Cake!  And not just any cake.  Fancy (but surprisingly easy) cake!  In fact, I guarantee you this is the easiest jelly roll you'll ever make (the filling is baked into the cake)!*

BANANA NUT ROLL

Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens
4 eggs, separated (let sit out for 30 minutes at room temperature)
1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 c. sugar
1 large mashed banana
1/2 c. chopped pecans
1/2 c. sugar

Cream Cheese Filling:
11 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. sugar
1 egg
3 Tbsp. milk

Icing:
3 oz. cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp. milk

1.  Preheat the oven to 375.  Lightly spray a jelly roll pan.  Line with wax paper then spray the wax paper.  Set aside.

2.  Prepare the cream cheese filling: beat together cream cheese and sugar.  Add egg and milk.  Beat until smooth.  Pour into prepared pan.
3.  Mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda.  Set aside.

4.  Beat egg yolks and vanilla on medium until they are a lemony yellow color and fluffy (about 6 minutes).  Add in 1/3 c. sugar and beat until the sugar is dissolved into the eggs.  Stir in mashed banana and nuts.  Set aside.
5.  Clean the beaters well and beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form.  Add in 1/2 c. sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
6.  Gently fold yolk/banana mixture into the egg whites.  Then, evenly sprinkle flour mixture on top and fold together.
7.  Drop by spoonfuls over the top of the cream cheese filling in the pan and gently spread over the top (try to disturb the filling as little as possible).
8.  Bake for 15 minutes at 375.
9.  Immediately turn out cake onto a clean dish towel sprinkled with powdered sugar.  Peel off wax paper and immediately roll the cake, starting with the short edge.  Use the towel as a guide but do not roll the towel into the cake (unlike a regular jelly roll).
10.  Transfer to a wire rack and allow the cake to cool.
11.  Prepare the cream cheese icing: beat cream cheese and vanilla together.  Add powdered sugar and just enough milk to reach spreading consistency.  Add a dash of salt.

12.  Ice the top of the cake and garnish with chopped pecans.
*I know it seems like a lot of steps, and even though it definitely is more involved than a simple sheet cake, it is so much prettier!  AND I promise, it really is easier than a traditional sheet cake - I have never had a problem with this cake cracking.  If you've ever tried to make a jelly roll before, you know, that's huge!

8 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy. I plan on making this for Easter morning. Congratulations on your big news. I bet your family is happy to have you move closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really nice because you don't have to worry about rolling up the cake first then filling it, then rolling it again, all without cracking. I've made this 3 or 4 times now and it's never cracked (in high altitude or at sea level) so I hope you have the same luck! Oh also, the cake gets even better as it sits, like most things with banana, the flavor gets stronger.

      Thank you for the congratulations too! I think my parents are happy :) We definitely are! We need to get closer to the mountains and out of this humidity!

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks great! Might be the Easter treat! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Doreen! Don't let all the egg beating deter you, it really is a pretty simple cake to make. I would recommend making it on Saturday and let it sit in the fridge overnight to have it for Easter brunch...the banana flavor will get stronger with some time to sit.

      Delete
  3. This looks fantastic. Thanks for linking it in to Food on Friday. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips