Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Replacing Fireworks with Stars

For New Year's Eve this year, we decided to do something other than watch A Rockin' New Year's Eve on the couch and try not to fall asleep.  We didn't even bother trying to stay awake.  I think we were asleep by about 9:00.  Coincidentally, we woke up at 11:55p.m. because the wind was really ablowin'!  I woke up because we were sleeping in this and I thought we were going to get suffocated when it collapsed:
Luckily we didn't.  We also didn't get eaten by the bear (probably deer) rummaging around our campsite, most likely looking for our pic-a-nic basket.  So, we survive another year!  Now we just have to wait until that whole Mayan-End-of-the-World thing happens. 
For the specs: Austin and I strapped on our backpacks, hiked one of the most popular sections of the Appalachian Trail until we reached McAfee's Knob.
We ate some hot dogs with cheese in them, mixed into our rice.  We roasted marshmallows and squished them between graham crackers and old chocolate bars.  It was windy and smoke kept blowing into our eyes.  We didn't want to spend the new year crying (due to the whole smoke in the eyes thing) so we played cards in the (newly splinted) tent, including the longest game of Crazy 8's ever...in the history of children's card games.  We talked about our 2012 goals, and enjoyed solitude, together (I know it's an oxymoron, but it makes sense).  It was the most perfect New Year to date!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for telling me what you ate :) Did the deer take that picture of you two? Also, I'm really happy that this was the best NYE--and it was on the East coast! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there a reason you felt compelled to be out on that ledge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Mom of course there was a reason I was compelled to be out on that ledge. Gravity was pulling me that way :) It was also tempting to jump off! Do you ever get that feeling? Like you could just fly off the ledge!!

    Julia, no the bear took the picture:) Actually I finally remembered to take my tripod AND the mount for my camera both! Miraculous! I thought you would like to know what people eat out in the woods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,
    This was just wonderful to read and look at your pictures!!!! What a great way to end one year and begin another. I give you credit, I wouldn't be caught dead anywhere near that edge....but it makes a gorgeous picture. Happy New Year and may all your 2012 dreams come true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mrs. Sale! It made my day to know you read this! The ledge really isn't as scary as the pictures make it out to be. I hear you guys had a pretty eventful year too with Billy getting married. Tell everyone hi for me...we really should reunite our 2 families again sometime (we might be back in Indiana this fall for my cousin's wedding!)

    I hope you have a great year too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah, we love the pictures. Can you copy for me the ledge picture with you and Austin? I would love to have that picture. I have a frame for a nice 5x7 picture. I think you both were very brave to be out there. If I can do it on our end, let me know how.
    Love you both
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely can do that! I will send it to you in an email and then you can usually print through any drugstore or walmart/target type of store. When you go to the store's website, there should be a way to upload your picture and then pick it up at the store. If you don't have anywhere to do that out by you, let me know and I can mail it to you.

      Delete

Blogging tips