Monday, January 9, 2012

Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

There are emotional eaters out there.  And while I may eat slightly more when I have a bad day, my real issue is emotional baking.  After a bad day, there is nothing that can cure my woes like baking.  Baking anything really.  Just the act of taking simple ingredients, mixing them all together, and adding some heat can really change things around.
So last week, after a particularly frustrating day at work, I came home, got out my mixer, and got busy. 

This recipe had another mission: to use one of my brand new pans!  Enter: browned butter.

BROWN BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Recipe created by me!
1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
3/4 c. brown sugar
1 T. vanilla
2 eggs + 1 yolk
2 3/4 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. chocolate chips (can use dark chocolate to make them less sweet)

1.  Place butter in a small saucepan (or skillet) and cook over medium heat until it turns an amber brown color.  (There will be specks of darker brown fat in the mixture and it should cook down to about 3/4 c.)  Pour into a separate container so the butter stops cooking.
2.  Beat together butter, sugars, and vanilla for 2 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.

3.  Add dry ingredients. 

4.  Stir in chocolate chips.
5.  Spoon by Tablespoonfuls onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. 
6.  Bake at 375˚ for 10-12 minutes.

9 comments:

  1. Not that I didn't appreciate your old pans though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. New pans are soooooo exciting! I appreciated the old pans, too....but new pans make you want to cook all the time.

    And the cookies look delicious, too. How different are they from the regular?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were super tasty! The brown butter gives them a caramel flavor almost. They are a little sweeter than a regular chocolate chip cookie, so you could make them with some or all dark chocolate chips instead. I don't know how well they will fair at high altitude though, especially since the butter is already melted but try it out and let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look amazing - perfect to cure a bad day! And mmm... brown butter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thoughts exactly, Jennie! There's just nothing quite like a warm chocolate chip cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah,

    I made these at high altitude (twice) and after poking around online before I made my second batch, I reduced the regular sugar to 3/4 cup and I thought it really helped make them more moist. I also did slightly more than 1 c butter to combat this same problem . . . probably about 1 c 2 tbs. Anyway, just thought you may want to pass this along to your Park City friends! I am obsessed with these cookies. The browned butter is amazing.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin! I'm so sorry I never responded to this - for some reason blogger decided that it was spam and I just thought to check that folder today! I'm so glad you liked the cookies! I know that high altitude can be a major problem when it comes to chocolate chip cookies so I really appreciate the adjustments you made.

      p.s. you have no idea how happy it makes me to hear that you made these cookies TWICE! I mean, anyone can try a recipe once, but twice means something!!!

      Delete

Blogging tips