Friday, January 27, 2012

Meringues

I've always been a fan of cookies for breakfast.  I mean, who isn't? 

I remember when I was little staying overnight at my grandparent's house and the next morning my sisters and I would get up to see Poppop out in the living room dipping cookies into his coffee for breakfast. 

As a five year old, it was clear to me that that was the only good reason for growing up...let's be honest, at 24 that's still the only good reason I can come up with!
These cookies are not exactly what I like to call a "breakfast cookie" (like oatmeal or molasses - which in my mind are health foods), but they are cookies that are only ready in the morning.  So if you take them out of the oven and bite into one, who am I to judge?  No one, that's who!

(Special Valentine's Day trick - shape the meringues into heart shapes!)

CHOCOLATE CHIP MERINGUES
Recipe from Great Grandma
2 egg whites
6 oz. chocolate chips
3/4 c. sugar

1.  Preheat oven to 375.

2.  Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.

3.  Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
4.  Fold in chocolate chips.
5.  Drop by tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet. 
6.  Place cookie sheet in oven and immediately turn the oven off!  Leave overnight.

7.  Wake up to deliciously sweet, crunchy-on-the-outside, chewy-on-the-inside cookies!

2 comments:

  1. I totally stalk you. Not a lot. Just once in a while. But I love this post. My grandma used to make these! (And probably still does...) Might have to add these cookies to my to-do list.

    How is life in DC?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't stalk on the internet? I'm pretty sure that that's why the fb was invented, right? Meringues should be at the top of your to-do list, don't hide them in the middle where they might get lost. Probably all caps are necessary too :)

      DC is going ok...we are desperately missing the mountains but we are making it work for the time being. How is Seattle and school? I was just thinking about you and the dorms the other day...those really were the good 'ol days!

      Delete

Blogging tips