Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Vegetable Upside Down Cake


It's no secret that I like cake.  I think I've established that already.

Some of you probably think that I am one of those people that has to pinch my nose to eat vegetables though and you would be wrong.  I don't mean to call my readers out or anything.  I'm definitely not trying to alienate you, but I just thought you should know that I actually really do like green things.

Even though it seems like all I eat are cookies, cakes and bread, most of my diet actually does consist of normal food.
When I saw this recipe for vegetable cake (not like carrot cake), I was pretty excited.  When I smelled it baking away in my oven, I was even more excited.  And, when it came out of the pan looking exactly like I had pictured it in my mind, I was beyond excited.

Then, I tasted it, and I loved it!  Imagine a bunch of roasted vegetables with a giant dumpling or biscuit on top.  The cake soaks up some of the juices from the veggies and it is wonderful.


VEGETABLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
1 c. flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1-2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 egg
1 c. buttermilk
2 Tbsp. melted butter.
4 carrots
2 stalks celery
3 scallions
2 zucchini
2 tomatoes

1.  Butter an 8 inch round pan.  Slice or chop up the vegetables and sauté until tender.  Place in the bottom of the prepared pan.  Set aside.

2.  Mix together flours, baking powder, soda, salt, sugar, and spices.  Create a well in the center of the dry ingredients.

3.  Beat together egg, buttermilk and melted butter.  Pour into the center of the well and mix together until just combined.

4.  Pour cake batter on top of all the vegetables.

5.  Bake at 350˚ for 40-45 minutes.  Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then invert onto a serving platter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips