Thursday, January 16, 2014

Onion Dip

When Austin and I were living in Boulder, we got to be Broncos fans.  You pretty much have to jump on the bandwagon if you live there.  It's all anyone talks about on Mondays and the only colors you see are orange and blue.  So, if you want to fit in or make friends at all, you better have something in common to talk about.
Whatever the reason, I'm excited they've made it this far in the playoffs and I don't want to jinx it, but I will be really excited if they make it to the Superbowl.

Most people I talk to watch the Superbowl just for the commercials.  Maybe for the halftime show.  I get that.  And, if I don't like either team playing, that's definitely the only reason I watch.  The main reason I like the Superbowl though is the parties.  And the main reason I like the parties is the food.
I really like onion dip.  Onion dip with some Ruffles can't really be topped.  And sure, I do the sour cream with soup mix stirred into it thing - I'm not above that by any means.  However, after making it from scratch without all the preservatives, I don't know if I'll be able to go back to Lipton.


ONION DIP
Recipe from Ina Garten
2 yellow onions
4 Tbsp. butter
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
4 oz. cream cheese (room temp.)
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. mayonnaise

1.  In a large skillet heat butter and vegetable oil.

2.  Cut onions in half then in thin slices (making half moon shapes about 1/8th of an inch thick).  Add to hot oil/butter along with the cayenne, salt and pepper.  Cook until caramelized (about 20-30 minutes) over medium heat.

3.  In a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise until fully combined.

4.  Stir in the cooled onions (draining any excess oil that is left in the pan).  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips