Thursday, January 2, 2014

Asparagus Leek Soup

Every year I make myself a new set of New Year's Resolutions.  I try to diversify them as much as possible.  One is always a fitness/athletic goal (run a half marathon this year!).  One is about a hobby (i.e. read 30 books).  Maybe I'll throw in a professional or a personal resolution too (move back home to Utah).

Last year, one of my resolutions was to complete a 365 project which I actually did!  I had some climbing resolutions which I did not complete, so I'll tack them onto the 2014 list.  I can't remember what else was on the list to be completely honest, but overall, I felt pretty successful in 2013.
This year, I decided I should add a food-related resolution since I spend so much time thinking about food anyway.  Here's what I came up with: experiment with foods that I have never cooked with before (2 times a month).  If they're successful, I'll share them here, but if they're not, well...I won't lead you astray.

When I made this asparagus leek soup, I had to look up youtube videos on how to clean, cut and prepare leeks.  I really didn't even know what they looked like when I went to the grocery store to buy them.  This soup doesn't count towards my goal though since I actually made it in 2013 - just holding myself accountable :)


ASPARAGUS LEEK SOUP (makes 12-16 servings)
Recipe from Taste of Home
3 leeks, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 onion, chopped
3 Tbsp. butter
4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
3 carrots, thinly sliced
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 qts. chicken broth
1/2 c. wild rice
1 lb. asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 lb. fresh spinach, roughly chopped
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 c. whipping cream

1.  In a large stock pot, sauté leeks and onion in butter until tender.  Add in the potatoes, carrots, salt, chicken broth and rice.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and continue to simmer for 25-30 minutes.

2.  Add in the asparagus.  Cover and simmer again until the asparagus is tender (5-10 minutes).

3.  Stir in the spinach, pepper, and cream and just cook until heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips