Thursday, January 23, 2014

Crockpot Chili

Since we've moved back to our hometown of Park City, Utah, I've been working mostly nights.  Up to this point, that mostly means I don't eat much.  I think my stomach has literally shrunk.  I used to really pride myself on how much I could eat and I was never one of those girls that would push their plate away after taking only a few bites and say they "just couldn't possibly take even one more bite."
No, I was the girl that would eat so much that the button on her jeans hurt when she tried to get up from the table.  I'm the one that had to walk bent over at the waist from the restaurant to the car.

Now, I find myself pushing away perfectly good food, grumbling about being full long before clearing my plate, and eating dinners of cheese and crackers.  I feel my energy slipping and I also feel my mood depreciating.
I think it's time I really make friends with my crockpot.  Soon, I'll need to figure out something to make besides soups and stews.  I feel like chili is a pretty good place to start though.  It's meaty and filling and perfect for winter dinners at work.


CROCKPOT CHILI (serves 8)
1 lb. ground beef
3/4 c. onion, diced
3/4 c. celery, diced
3/4 c. green pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (10.75 oz.) cans tomato puree
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, with liquid
1 (15 oz.) can kidney beans, drained
1 (15 oz.) can cannellini beans, with liquid
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. dried oregano
3/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. hot sauce

1.  Cook ground beef in a skillet over medium heat until cooked through.  Drain and transfer to crockpot.

2.  Add vegetables, beans, and spices to crockpot.  Stir to combine.

3.  Cook on low for 8 hours.  Taste test and add more hot sauce or spices as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips