Monday, January 6, 2014

Mushroom Asparagus Risotto

I am generally the type of person that is resistant to change but I'm trying to be more laid back about it and just accept it.  Probably because with everything going on in my life right now, I've been pretty much forced to get used to it.  No use resisting the inevitable right?

I am definitely a routine-oriented person.  I like to get up at about the same time every day, go to the gym, come home and drink my coffee.
The only things that I do like to change up pretty often are my hair (cut and color) and my food.  That's about where my adventurous side stops.

This morning I cut off 3 inches of hair and I made mushroom asparagus risotto!  Crazy, right?!

I guess you'd have to know that I don't like mushrooms to understand why that would be even remotely adventurous for me.  (It's definitely a texture issue.)  So in this risotto, I just chopped up the mushrooms really little so it has all the flavor still but none of the sliminess.

Most of the time, Austin and I eat risotto as a main dish, but you could easily serve this as a side dish alongside any protein really.


MUSHROOM ASPARAGUS RISOTTO
Recipe slightly adapted from Alton Brown
6 c. chicken broth
1 c. dry white wine
2 Tbsp. butter
1 onion, finely chopped
salt & pepper, to taste
2 c. arborio rice
1/2 c. mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 bunch asparagus, chopped into 1" pieces
1/2 c. grated parmesan
1 tsp. lemon zest
1/2 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg

1.  In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth and wine just to a simmer.

2.  Meanwhile start the rice in a large saucepan: melt the butter in the bottom of the pan and cook the onion with salt and pepper over medium heat until translucent.  Add the rice and cook for another 3-5 minutes (the edges of the rice should become translucent).  Reduce heat to low.

3.  Add enough of the chicken broth/wine mixture to cover all of the rice and onions.  Stir constantly until almost all of the liquid is absorbed.  Again, add chicken broth/wine to cover the rice and cook until it is absorbed.  Continue with this process until almost all of the chicken broth has been incorporated into the rice.

4.  Add in the mushrooms and asparagus.  Continue cooking until all of the liquid has been absorbed.

5.  Remove from heat.  Stir in parmesan, lemon zest, and nutmeg.  Add salt & pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips