Monday, October 28, 2013

Vanilla Caramel Apples

Saturday night, 6 cars in our neighborhood (including our friend's) got broken into.  It feels like a pretty safe neighborhood and it's in a safe town.  And while I'm not really concerned for my safety, I don't like the idea of people inside Sheldon (my car) without my permission.
I don't know if I just watch too much Law & Order or if the world really is more dangerous, but I wish it wasn't.  When I was little, my grandma used to make caramel apples to hand out to the kiddos in the neighborhood on Halloween.  Granted, it was a very small town and everyone literally knew everyone else, but still no one was afraid the little old lady at the end of the road was hiding razor blades in their apples.

I'm not at all suggesting that you should stop being concerned about little old ladies, I'm just saying if someone handed me a caramel apple, I wish I could eat it without concern of being poisoned or cut.  That's all.
And since at this point in American history, we cannot go around accepting food from strangers, we have to rely on ourselves to satisfy our own caramel apple cravings.  I left my caramel apples plain, but especially if you are making this with or for kids, you'll probably want to dip them in candy, nuts, crumbled cookies or chocolate.  It's choose your own adventure style.
VANILLA CARAMEL APPLES (makes 6-8)
1 c. sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
dash salt
1/4 c. butter, softened
small can evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
6-8 apples
candy, cookies, nuts, melted chocolate, etc. (optional)

1.  In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and salt over low heat.  Stir constantly until the sugar melts, and it reaches 244˚.

2.  Slowly stir in butter and evaporated milk (do not allow the sugar to stop boiling).  Continue stirring and bring back up to 242˚.

3.  Remove from heat.  Stir in vanilla then dip apples into caramel - twirling as you lift them out of the caramel to remove as much excess as possible.  Place on a buttered cookie sheet and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips