Monday, October 7, 2013

Chicken Caesar Salad

Sorry for the digression from pumpkin based dishes here.  I know we're all ready for sweaters and layers and eating comfort food all the time, but I've been sick and craving vegetables.  But since you know me and I don't have to pretend to be something I'm not in front of you, I'll come out with it: even when I eat "healthy," it's not really healthy.
When I order salads, it's got lots of caesar or bleu cheese dressing.  Definitely croutons.  Not too many carrots.  Probably cheese.  Definitely cheese.  Yes, even if I get bleu cheese dressing, I still get extra cheese.

Who are those people that order a salad "dry" or with a "squeeze of lemon?!?!"  I'm sorry, but that's crazy.  I know I'm not offending you either, because you obviously wouldn't be reading my blog if you only eat lettuce like a rabbit.  Well, maybe you're into torturing yourself?
Point is, I am the person that will get up to run at 5:00 a.m. and be back to the house before the sun has come up just to make up for the fact that I really like cheese.  And cake :)  And when I want to be healthy, I really am just pretending by ordering a chicken caesar salad (with extra parmesan sprinkled on top!).
CHICKEN CAESAR SALAD (serves 4)
Recipe from Ree Drummond
4 anchovy filets
2 Tbsp. dijon mustard
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. worcestershire
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice from 1/2 of a lemon
1/2 c. olive oil
1/4 c. parmesan, grated
salt & pepper
1/2 loaf french bread
1/4 c. olive oil
2 cloves garlic
romaine lettuce
2 chicken breasts, grilled (optional)
parmesan, grated

1.  In a food processor, puree anchovies until you create a paste.  Add in dijon mustard, balsamic, worcestershire, garlic and lemon juice.  Blend, scraping down the sides once or twice.

2.  With the food processor on low, drizzle in olive oil.

3.  Stir in parmesan, salt & pepper.  Transfer into a jar and store in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.

4.  Cut the french bread into crouton sized cubes.  Spread out in a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet.

5.  In a small saucepan, heat up 1/4 c. olive oil.  Add in whole, crushed cloves of garlic.  Heat for another 5 minutes (stir occasionally so you don't burn the garlic).

6.  Pour olive oil over bread.  Mix it all up with your hands trying to cover all of the bread with the oil.  Sprinkle with salt.

7.  Place the croutons under the broil and watch carefully.  Once they start to brown, toss and return to oven - watch very carefully this time!

8.  Assemble your salads - romaine lettuce, sliced chicken breast, croutons, sprinkle of parmesan, drizzle of dressing.

4 comments:

  1. I love this recipe ... french bread Caeser Salad.. I will definitely try this.
    Caeser Salad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I hope you like it as much as I did!

      Delete
  2. hey Fudge .. I made it .. its really awesome.. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, you just made my day! Thank you so much for coming back and telling me!
      -Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips