Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Crispy Marshmallow Chocolate Chip Cookies

These are the type of cookies that are really good right out of the oven - like every cookie.  But, unlike every cookie, these are also really good later.  Once they've cooled down, they stay crispy but not hard.  The marshmallows keep the centers a little chewy, the Special K cereal keeps the outside crunchy.  The chocolate chips keep them from going stale (they'll never last that long!).
These are exactly the type of cookie that I make around 10:00 at night.  A while after I've had dinner, watching TV, I usually get the feeling that I need something sweet.  Just so, you know, I can go to sleep satisfied.

Rarely will a piece of chocolate or a store bought cookie do the trick.  It's not just anything sweet, it has to be sweet and delicious!

So at this point, I will get up from whatever I'm watching, quickly mix up a batch of cookies, finish the show while I'm waiting for the oven timer to go off, then I eat 1 or 2 or 3 and go to bed totally, completely satisfied.  (I think this is something I picked up from my dad.)  The next day, eat a couple more and love them just as much!


CRISPY MARSHMALLOW CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. oats
3 c. Special K Cereal
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
1 c. mini marshmallows

1.  Sift together flour, salt, baking soda.  Set aside.

2.  Cream butter and sugars.  Add in eggs one at a time.  Add vanilla.

3. Mix dry ingredients into the butter/sugar mixture.  Stir in oats, Special K, chocolate chips, and marshmallows.

4.  Drop by tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet.  Bake at 350˚ for 10 minutes.

11 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of chocolate chip cookies and these sound amazing! Can't wait to try out the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also a big fan of chocolate chip cookies (you can probably tell by how many variations have been posted on my blog!) - please let me know what you think of them!

      Delete
  2. I'm a big fan of chocolate chip cookies and these sound amazing! Can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look and sound awesome. I love marshmallows in cookies, it really does give it a perfect texture and people are always surprised by the "secret" ingredient. --Definitely a great trick up the sleeve and a fantastic recipe. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate! I pretty much always add marshmallows to box brownie mixes so figured they'd be just as good in cookies :) Please come back and let me know what you thought of them!
      -Sarah

      Delete
  4. Sarah,

    I need some help. I made these and the mix was really dry (I doublechecked my ingredients and couldn't find error so I added another egg white). Then, it was hard to keep the cookies together when I tablespooned them onto my baking sheet. I smooshed them down a bit but they don't look beautiful and flat like this. We are both at elevation so I'm wondering if you have any tips for me. I want them to be beautiful and flat like this, not the mounds of cookie that I always make!

    -Erin

    ps- Keep the great recipes coming. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin,

      The cookie dough is definitely on the dry side when you've mixed everything in - much drier than your regular choc chip cookies. I just keep my stand mixer going and add in the cereal, oats, choc chips, etc. so the cereal gets crunched up but I'm too lazy to mix it in by hand. I think that helps get it all incorporated though. If it's too dry to come together, I would try adding a couple tablespoons of cold water (add it really slowly and watch carefully so that it doesn't get too gummy).

      Also, when you drop it onto your cookie sheet, you don't need to make perfect balls of dough - just make mounds using a spoon, your hands, whatever works - as long as there somewhat "together" they should melt into one cookie. Try making a couple cookies on your first cookie tray, see how they come out - if they are still puffy, maybe press them down with a fork (dipped in water) before baking. I'm sorry I'm not really sure why they would be mounded - I usually have the opposite problem of them getting super flat and crispy when I want them fluffy and chewy :)

      The only other possibility for a solution I can come up with is to beat your butter and sugars longer. I would say it's about 2-3 minutes on medium. The butter should be very soft and fluffy and a light yellow color (slightly darker since this recipe calls for brown sugar too). Are you putting the dough into the fridge before baking? If you are, try leaving it out instead. When the fats are cold, they break down slower while baking, making a thicker cookie. Oh, one more thing! Are you using real butter or substituting with crisco or margarine? Butter will melt quicker and make a flatter cookie.

      Let me know what you come up with though. Sorry they're not turning out perfectly :(

      Delete
  5. Yes, I think these solutions will help. I think the biggest problem is that I don't have a stand mixer and I get lazy when I'm mixing the butter and sugars. Also, hard to combine it all by hand! Luckily, I am getting married soon so that I can get a mixer. I hope so, at least! Thanks for your help. I will try this out and see if I can make due until July with my hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations! I hope you get a Kitchenaid too! Maybe you should only register for that, that way you're sure to get one! You can use a handheld mixer at least to get the butter and sugars creamed well - those are only $20 or so I think.

      I like this too btw: "I am getting married soon SO THAT I can get a mixer." Is that the only reason? ;)

      Delete
  6. Haha, that is what I'm thinking. For several years, I used to tell Sam when I was baking how I couldn't wait to get married so we could have a kitchenaid. Now, I say I can't wait to get on his health insurance. I do use a handheld mixer but I'm still impatient! Thanks for your suggestions; I am going to try these again Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Equally important (kitchenaid and health insurance) I'd say! :) Let me know how the cookies turn out this time around.

      Delete

Blogging tips