Monday, August 19, 2013

Strawberry Muffins

There was a time when I would have been scared to give these muffins to Austin.  They have fresh berries.  May not seem like something to necessarily incite fear, but it did.  The reason being: Austin is allergic to all fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts, soy, dairy, and pretty much everything else.  I know, he's a freak ;)  I mean that in the most loving way possible!
I remember making brownies in high school with pecans and giving a big square to Austin to enjoy.  He didn't enjoy it that much though when he was sitting on my parents' front stoop in the cold trying to breathe.

Then when we moved away to college, I was determined that he could "get over" his allergies.  I urged him to eat a little bit at a time.  Deal with the discomfort and eventually be able to eat out without carrying an epinephrine pen with us.  And it worked.  *Knock on wood!*
Now, I will make 12 muffins filled with fresh strawberries and Austin will eat 11 of them without thinking twice about it.  He'll steal big bites out of my apple, and hog all of the smoothies.  Maybe I did too good of a job desensitizing him?

In all seriousness, I would much rather cook for someone who can enjoy it than have it all to myself.
If anyone else has or knows someone who has these same allergies, we would love to know what it is about fresh produce that causes it!


STRAWBERRY MUFFINS (yields 1 dozen)
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. + 2 Tbsp. milk
1 egg
1/4 lb. (1 stick) butter, melted
1 c. strawberries, diced
3/4 c. sugar

1.  Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.  Set aside.

2.  Combine milk, egg, and butter.  Pour into a well created in the center of the dry ingredients.  Mix until just combined.

3.  Stir in strawberries and sugar.

4.  Pour batter into paper-lined muffin tins.  Bake at 375˚ for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips