Thursday, August 29, 2013

Peanut Butter Cayenne Rice Krispies Treats

The kiddos are back in school this week.  I am extremely aware of this because there is an elementary school behind our house and I get to hear them running around the playground all day.  I also got to see all of the first-day-of-school-outfits.  What I didn't get to see were the after-school snacks...because, you know, that would be creepy.  I'm assuming they had carrot sticks or bagel bites, or whatever else kids eat nowadays.
Darcie (my sister) and I used to eat a lot of rice krispies treats.  It was sort of our own version of after-school snacks.  The type that you come up with when you're alone and have access to lots of butter and marshmallows and you were told not to turn on the stove or oven when you were home alone.

Our version employed just about the laziest possible method to make them.  It also used as few dishes as possible.  We made ours on paper plates.  We spread them across the entire bottom of the plate and then we each would sit down in a barstool and devour the entire thing.
Since then, some things have changed.  Now, I don't really get an after-school snack every day.  I also don't make my rice krispies treats on paper plates.  I do; however, still eat the entire tray.  Some things just won't ever change :)

These rice krispies treats are an attempt at sophistication.  They are still rice krispies treats though, so don't worry, they're not too highbrow.  Just a little extra spice!


PEANUT BUTTER CAYENNE RICE KRISPIES TREATS
1/2 c. butter
1 bag (10 oz.) marshmallows
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
6 c. Rice Krispies cereal

1.  Butter an 8x8" cake pan generously.  Set aside.

2.  In a large pot, brown butter (cook until you see little brown specks in the bottom of the pan).  Add in marshmallows, peanut butter, salt, and cayenne.  Stir until smooth.  Remove from heat.

3.  Stir in cereal.

4.  Spread into prepared pan.  Once cooled, cut into 9 pieces.

2 comments:

  1. YUM! I love rice krispie treats, especially when there's a little something something added! I will most definitely need to make these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Who doesn't love rice krispies?! Congratulations on your feature in the German magazine too!

      Delete

Blogging tips