Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cherry Berry Jar Pies

You know what holiday is coming up next.  You know because Target has been displaying only pink and red things since December 26th. 

Valentine's Day can go a few different ways:
  1. You are in a new relationship and you are downright giddy;
  2. You are single and you hate any mention of the holiday;
  3. You are in an old relationship and you've realized that cards and flowers are better on a day when you aren't expecting them, than a day that Hallmark tells you how to feel.
Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about...that's probably the most likely situation.

What I do know is that pie is good any day of the week.  (And people who "don't like pie" aren't to be trusted.) 
If you want to do something special for your valentine this Tuesday, skip the red roses, skip the teddy bears and make them something warm and full of love that you put your heart and soul into. 

You can cook up 2 of these if you have someone to share them with, or if you're flying solo right now, make them ahead of time, freeze 'em, and throw one in the oven whenever you're ready for some dessert!

CHERRY BERRY JAR PIES

2 pie crusts (I used a frozen one from Trader Joe's)
5 c. berries & cherries (1 c. blueberries, 1 c. strawberries, 3 c. cherries)
2/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. reserved cherry juice
2 tsp. vanilla
3 T. tapioca
1.  Press pie crust into each jar (makes 7 or 8) and use the lids as a cookie cutter to make the top crusts.
2.  Mix together all other ingredients.
3.  Fill pie crust lined jars with berry mixture.
4.  Place the top crust on top.  Cut a vent hole.
5.  Place on a cookie sheet and bake @ 375 for 45 minutes, or screw lid on jar and freeze.*
*To cook a frozen pie, start with the oven at 425, bake for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 375 and cook for 40 minutes longer.  (Make sure you take the lid off first.)


12 comments:

  1. I love this! what an awesome idea!!! great for anyone! thank you so much for linking to foodie friday! Not Your Ordinary Agent
    Not Your Ordinary Recipes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wish I could claim credit for the jar idea but unfortunately I have seen the jar pies on multiple sites ("Not Martha" included), but I thought they were a great idea too!

      Delete
  2. I love the pie in a jar idea, and love it even more that you can freeze them for later! Yours look great! You have such good pie recipes...but this one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jennie! Freezing them was great - makes me not eat the whole pie...although I probably could, I really shouldn't!

      Delete
  3. I was going to make jar pies.....weird.....why do you always cook what I'm thinking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must be on the same wavelength or have the same stomach! I personally like more crust to my pie so these were perfect because the ratio is more to my liking! Those little individual pies you made a while back would be good right now too!

      Delete
  4. WOW . . . great recipe and presentation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula! If you try them out yourself, please let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  5. I've never made jar pies but I think they are so cute! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites! I'm featuring you this week! Come by and grab my featured button if you'd like one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jerri! I am truly honored - with all the other wonderful link ups, it's really flattering that you would choose mine! You should definitely try out the jar pies - they are so easy!

      p.s. Thanks for hosting the linking party! I love being able to look at all of the other things people are making in one place.

      Delete
    2. So, I get that you can freeze them, however; that takes a lot of freezer space. Can these be canned? Can it be done using cold packing or pressure canning. It would be so wonderful when individual berry or fruit season is in.

      Delete
    3. I actually don't have any experience with canning (It's on my to-do list for this summer!) so I don't know if you can or not. I'm really sorry I don't have an answer for you but maybe another reader will know.

      Delete

Blogging tips