Monday, February 16, 2015

Hot Fudge Sauce

Do you like to go out for ice cream?  Any type really.  Banana splits, hot fudge sundaes, cones, cups, milkshakes, malts...  Of course you do.  Who doesn't?  Even highly lactose-intolerant, Austin, can't resist an Oreo Blizzard.

I used to actually drive out of my way about 20 minutes to get 'the really good soft-serve' from a gas station in the next town over when I was in high school.  And I will always pick the burger joint that serves vanilla shakes over the burger joint that does not.

But a few years ago, a really sad and really disgusting thing happened when I was waiting in line for my ice cream at a popular (unnamed) chain.
I was waiting for my food as I watched the girl working behind the counter being paid minimum wage and wearing an ill-fitting hat, drop a customer's ice cream on the dirty counter.  As I'm sure you've guessed, she did not throw it out, clean up the counter and start new.  She picked up the ice cream and put it back in the cup...with her bare hand!

Ever since then, I've been just a little more appreciative of my dessert prepared at home.

So, it's a good thing that you can make your own hot fudge sauce on your own (clean?) stove.  You can scoop it with your own spoons.  Heat it with your own microwave.  And if you so choose, you can touch it with your own bare hands, and that's fine.  Sticky but fine.

Oh, and by the way, it tastes about 4 million times better than anything you're going to find at a drive-up or in a grocery store.

HOT FUDGE SAUCE
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 - 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 c. hot water
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

1.  Melt chocolate over medium-low heat.  Stir in sweetened condensed milk.  Cook until thick, stirring constantly.

2.  Add hot water, salt and sugar.  Cook until smooth and thick.

3.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

*Store any remaining fudge in the fridge and reheat a small amount in the microwave for about 15 seconds or until liquid to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips