Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Lemon Scones

I imagine myself sitting out on a patio someday with a group of girlfriends, talking about books, drinking tea, eating scones.  It will be lovely.  Problem is I don't technically have a patio, or a 'group' of girlfriends.  I have tea and scones though!

Maybe I should start bribing people with my baked goods to be friends.  Still doesn't solve the patio problem - but that will come in time, I'm sure.

Scones are about the easiest thing you could bake.  They have so few ingredients, you only use one bowl and there is no waiting for the dough to rise.  That's why it always baffles me that coffee shops all over the place serve dry scones every morning.  I don't get it.  Those won't win you any friends.  These lemon scones will.

LEMON SCONES
2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 c. cold butter
1/2 c. buttermilk
zest of 1 large lemon (or 2 small)
coarse sugar for sprinkling on top

1.  In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

2.  Cut butter into small cubes then cut into the flour - it should be coarse and crumbly.

3.  Stir in buttermilk and lemon zest just until combined (I use my hands for this part).

4.  On a lightly floured surface, work dough into a circle about 9 inches across.  Transfer to a cookie sheet and cut halfway through the dough into wedges (do not cut all the way through).

5.  Sprinkle with sugar and bake at 350˚ for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips