Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Swiss Chard with a Shallot Cream Sauce

Ever since daylight savings time kicked in (turned off?) on Sunday morning at 2:00 a.m., I have been all out of sorts.  First of all, I've been sneezing like crazy - don't know how that could be related, but it's happening.  Also, I have not been able to get up in the mornings to go to the gym and get swole even though it should be easier now.  I've also wanted to eat dinner around 4:00 in the afternoon.
None of these things really make sense if you get to thinking about it, but just like daylight savings time, it's best not to think too hard about it.

It's also best not to engage in long, pointless debates with your sister about the merits/downfalls of DST.  It goes nowhere.  No one wins.  It's just a lot of wasted breath.

Anyway, the upside to me wanting to get the Earlybird Special as if I'm an 85 year old is that there is still daylight and I can take pictures of the food that I cook.  The downside: that I need a second dinner at 9:00.

SWISS CHARD w/SHALLOT CREAM SAUCE
4 Tbsp. butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 shallots, diced
2/3 c. cream
1/2 c. dry white wine
salt & pepper
1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1 bunch swiss chard

1.  In a large skillet, cook garlic and shallots in butter until translucent.

2.  While the shallots and garlic are cooking, prepare your swiss chard: cut leafy tops into 2" pieces, cut the stems into 1/2" pieces.

3.  Add in cream, wine, salt, pepper, nutmeg and stems of swiss chard.  Cook for 5 minutes.

4.  Add in leafy portion of swiss chard and continue cooking about 5 minutes more.

1 comment:

Blogging tips