Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Cranberry Pecan Pie

Thanksgiving is next Thursday!  I literally couldn't be more excited.  I am in pretty desperate need of a few days off spent at home with family (and my kitten).

Austin and I have been lucky enough to go home every year for Thanksgiving.  We are also lucky that our families live 5 miles away from each other and actually spend Thanksgiving together.  We don't have to choose sides.  We get to have our pie and eat it too.
Speaking of pie...  See what I did there?  Bear with me, it's only Tuesday, but it's already been a long week!  I have already told you and everyone else that I like pretty much all pie.  I like new versions of pie and I like the classics.  I like fruit pie, cream pie, custard pie, and pot pie.
Seeing as pecans are my favorite nut, I obviously hold a special place in my heart..um stomach...for it.  But on Thanksgiving, I save a lot of space in my stomach for pie, so there's always room for more.

The biggest complaint I hear about pecan pie (besides from people that "hate pecans") is that it's too sweet.  I hear ya.  I don't really get it, because I can eat anything as long as it has sugar on/in it, but I can put myself in your shoes.  The answer?  Cranberry pecan pie.  The tartness of the cranberries cuts the sweetness perfectly, but the pecans still give you all the nutty, rich flavor you want.  And, it's cranberries and pecans, what could be more festive than that?


CRANBERRY PECAN PIE
Recipe from my mom
1 pie crust
3 eggs
1 c. light corn syrup
2/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. fresh cranberries
1 c. chopped pecans

1.  Combine eggs, corn syrup, sugar and butter until all combined.

2.  Add in vanilla, cranberries and pecans.  Pour into prepared pie crust.

3.  Bake at 425 for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 and continue baking for 35-45 minutes.  (Cover edges with foil, if they start to get too brown.)

4.  Cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips