Thursday, November 14, 2013

Homemade Vanilla Extract

Every year, the "Christmas Season" starts a few days or a week earlier.  Pretty soon, we'll just listen to songs about decking the halls all year round.  People like to get their shopping done early and I get that.

I like getting people gifts and I like planning and thinking about what would be perfect for my family and Austin and his family, but then there are those other people that I don't know what to get.
Usually these people are coworkers, neighbors, hosts of Christmas parties, more distant relatives, maybe in-laws.  You get the point.  There are some people you need to get a gift, but you really don't know them all that well.  The answer?  Food!  Duh!

Homemade food is an especially good idea.  Homemade vanilla in cute little bottles is the best idea.  The only catch?  You need to start now, like this weekend.  It requires very little work on your part, but it does take about 6 weeks to sit.  So put it on your to-do list.

HOMEMADE VANILLA EXTRACT
Recipe makes 1 small glass bottle (about 3/4 c.).  Multiply for as many bottles you'd like to make.
1 vanilla bean
3/4 c. vodka

1.  Cut the vanilla bean in half.  Then, starting about 1 inch from the end, split both halves.  Place in a small sealable glass container (I got mine from The Container Store).

2.  Top with 3/4 c. vodka.

3.  Store in a cool, dark place for 6 weeks - it will continue to get darker as time passes.

*You can continue to refill your vanilla, adding more vodka and more vanilla beans as needed.

4 comments:

  1. Can you help me out with the bottle size, I can't seem to find them. Thanks a million!! Can't wait to give these as gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosanna,

      So glad to hear you'll be making them this year! I got my bottles from the Container Store (http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10036295&N=&Ntt=glass+bottle) but Hobby Lobby also sells some that would work (http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/250ml-clear-square-milk-bottle-242016/). I would just adjust your ratios so it will be strong enough - use 1 vanilla bean per 3/4 c. of vodka.

      Let me know what you find!

      Happy Holidays,
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. unfortunately I could only find the 8.5oz size bottles, but i'm going to give it a go anyways. !! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosanna,

      Definitely - go for it! Just adjust your ratios: for every 3/4 c. of vodka that fits, add 1 vanilla bean.

      -Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips