Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Cheddar Bread (Bread Machine Recipe)

You know how people say they are visual learners?  First of all, I feel like no one says they are anything but visual learners.  Second of all, what do you call someone who learns by smells?

I think I fall into that category.  I mean sure, I can read a textbook or go to a lecture and learn some stuff too, but if there is a strong smell in the room while I'm reading, I'm way more likely to retain it.
This means that when I walk down the street and pass a coffee shop with just a certain specific smell, I am transported back to Rosslyn, VA where I would sit in Starbucks on my lunch breaks and read.  Or when I smell something baking through a window, I can remember the exact feel of walking down the cobblestone streets of Heidelberg, Germany after being berated by my German professor for a 2 hour seminar where I only understand half of the insults that were being thrown around.

Austin does not appreciate my "learning style."  He just thinks it involves too much "sniffing around."  Literally.

Some memories that get stirred up are bad memories, and some are good.  And some are mixed.  Every single time I smell the yeasty aroma of bread rising in my kitchen, I remember being very, very unhappy and homesick while unpacking boxes and filling the shelves of our new, shiny, DC apartment.  I got to one box that said "KITCHEN" which my mom and dad had helped pack.  When I opened it up, their barely used breadmaker was sitting there staring up at me.  It was one of those happy/sad moments but it did make me feel not quite so far away.  For the rest of my life, when I make bread, I'll remember that box, that kitchen, and that happy/sad feeling.
CHEDDAR BREAD
2/3 c. milk
2 tsp. butter
2 tsp. sugar
1/3 tsp. salt
2 c. bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. yeast
1/2 c. cheddar

1.  In your bread maker, combine milk, butter, sugar, salt, flour and yeast.  Follow the breadmaker instructions (I use the white bread setting).

2.  When the machine beeps following the first kneading (when you would add raisins into cinnamon raisin bread) add in cheese.

3.  Once the bread machine cycle has finished remove and cool on a wire rack.

5 comments:

  1. I have a 1.5 lb loaf machine. Will this recipe work for it, or is it for a 2 lb machine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will definitely work in your 1.5 lb. machine! Let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  2. I am not sure what I did wrong but it did not mix right or rise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Samantha, I'm so sorry to hear it didn't turn out well :( Sometimes if the dough is too dry, I will add a little water (about a Tablespoon at a time, and keep it about room temperature so it doesn't kill the yeast). I do this while I watch it through the little window in the bread maker. I wish I knew exactly what made it not rise - could be the altitude, temperature on your bread machine, the yeast... Sorry, I really wish I knew! -Sarah

      Delete
  3. Hi
    I made this bread and is delicious. But it’s necessary adjust the quantity of liquid. I had to add almost 2 tbsp of extra milk because the dough was looking dry.
    After that the result is really good.
    The weigh of this bread is 500 grams approx.
    Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips