Friday, August 22, 2014

White Peach Sangria

I'm not a wine drinker.  Every single time, I will choose beer over wine, a mixed drink over wine, and even no drink over wine.  It's not because I hate the taste or anything (although I do have a problem with room temperature drinks).  It's because wine gives me horrible headaches and it turns my face red.

My cheeks will get flushed and my temples will start to throb whether I have a couple sips or if I down a bottle.  So, don't try to tell me I just drank too much.
I've been told that it's because of the sulfites in most wines, but to be totally honest with you, I don't care enough to experiment and find out.  I just prefer other drinks.

After that little rant there, you're probably wondering why I even made a sangria then.
Good point.  It's mostly because it was being served to other people at a baby shower and it's partly because I really want to drink it without getting sick/embarrassed (red cheeks thing).
It always looks so nice and refreshing when people are drinking it then feverishly trying to scoop the booze-laden fruit out of the bottom of their glasses (and classy!).  This version is made with white wine, tons of peaches, strawberries and citrus and it tastes so so good!

Also, for some reason, the wine sucks all the color out of the strawberries so it turns this nice pink color :)

WHITE PEACH SANGRIA (serves 8)
1 pint strawberries, hulled and halved
2 oranges, sliced into 1/4 inch rings
2 lemons, sliced into 1/4 inch rings
3 peaches, pitted and cut into wedges
3 bottles white wine
1 liter sparkling water (cold!)

1.  Combine fruit and wine in a pitcher (I doubled this recipe to fill a punch bowl).  Let sit for at least 4 hours and up to 24 hours at room temperature.  Two hours before serving, place in the refrigerator to chill.

2.  Right before serving, add in the sparkling water.

*Optional: add a rubber ducky on top if it's for a baby shower!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips