Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Apple Coleslaw

You know when you go out to get barbecue or fried chicken and you have the option for 2 or 3 (or more) sides and there is a big list, usually hidden in the back of the 30 page menu with the options and you didn't see it and you didn't even know you got sides, then the waiter asks you what you want, and you panic and you make them recite the whole list for you?

Don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about.  Exactly everyone has been in that situation.
Well, I always get coleslaw and mashed potatoes with gravy.  Mostly because those are my 2 favorites, but also because I hate to be the person that is fumbling at the dinner table.

It's a safe bet for me.  I love all mashed potatoes.  With the skin on or off, real or even boxed, seriously, I'm not picky.  Same goes for coleslaw.  Sure, there's a difference and some are better than others, but I like it all.

Of course, if I got a choice, I'd choose this variation.  A little bit tart from the vinegar, but still a creamy dressing.  Plenty of the classics: cabbage and carrots, with an added sweet/sour element from the apples.  Yep, I know what I want!
APPLE COLESLAW
Recipe by Melissa Flinn
1 head green cabbage
2 large carrots, shredded
2-3 tart apples, peeled
1 1/4 c. mayonnaise
3 Tbsp. sour cream
3 Tbsp. chopped green onions
3 Tbsp. sugar
salt & pepper
3 Tbsp. white vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp. ground mustard
3 tsp. celery salt

1.  Shred cabbage and coarsely chop the apples.  Toss with shredded carrots.  Set aside.

2.  Whisk together remaining ingredients to make the sauce/dressing.  Toss with prepared vegetables and apples, cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

*If you are going to make this ahead of time, leave the apples out until right before you're ready to serve (if you put them in too early, they will brown).

2 comments:

Blogging tips