Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Pumpkin Soup with Cranberry Apple Relish

I don't know if you know this, but people are freaking out right now.  They are currently running to Starbucks every chance they get and instagramming (it's a verb now) pictures of their coffee cups that say PSL.  Personally, I'm not that into your coffee choice.  Personally, I'm also not that into pumpkin.
All that aside, I feel the need to give you something to fulfill your pumpkin obsession this fall.  I'm never going to give you a recipe here that I don't like though.  So this pumpkin soup had to be good.

I guess there are a couple other things I like that come in pumpkin form.  Namely, this Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread, these Frosted Pumpkin Bars, this Pumpkin Pie and these Pumpkin Cookies (which are just pumpkin in shape really).
As you can see, I really just like my pumpkin mixed with sugar and butter.  So this is clearly a little diversion from my norm, but I was so happy that it worked out.  The soup is creamy and warm and comforting just like you want any soup to be.  And really it's the cranberry apple relish that sets it apart from just another soup.  You get a little bit of crunch in there, some sweetness from the craisins, some tartness from the apples, and just a tiny hint of spice from the chili powder.  It's all there.

So you can still hate me because I don't share your fascination with Pumpkin Spice Lattes or because I offended your instagramming style, but if you try this soup, maybe we can still be friends?
PUMPKIN SOUP WITH CRANBERRY APPLE RELISH (serves 8 as a starter, 4 as a meal)
Recipe from Rachael Ray
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. butter
1 bay leaf
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
salt & pepper
3 Tbsp. flour
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
2 tsp. hot sauce
6 c. chicken stock
28 oz. pumpkin puree
2 c. heavy cream
1/2 tsp. nutmeg (fresh grated, if you have it)
For the Relish:
1 apple, finely chopped
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. craisins, chopped
1 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1.  Heat olive oil and butter in a heavy stock pot.  Add in bay leaf, celery, onion, salt & pepper.  Cook until tender (about 6 or 7 minutes).

2.  Sprinkle the flour, poultry seasoning and hot sauce over the top.  Stir and cook for a minute longer.  Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to a low boil.

3.  Whisk in the pumpkin.  Simmer for at least 10 minutes to thicken.

4.  While the soup cooks, prepare the relish.  In a bowl, combine the apple, onion, lemon juice, craisins, chili powder, honey and cinnamon.

5.  Stir the cream and nutmeg into the soup.  Reduce the heat to low until you are ready to serve it up.

6.  Top each bowl of soup with a big spoonful of relish before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips