Monday, September 16, 2013

Peach Pie

I've been begging for cooler weather pretty much since summer started and last week I got it.  Unfortunately, it also came with a foot of rain.  I wish I was exaggerating, but that's a real 12".  I left work early on Thursday, couldn't get to work on Friday and sat around watching more and more rain come down through the weekend.

Between walking around and looking at the damage of the flood, and checking twitter for news (because it honestly is the best source during something like this), I got to turn on my oven.  And if I didn't know that people around me were being evacuated, having their homes washed away, and losing everything, I might have even been able to enjoy baking.
Going through something like this does make you realize how many people you have in your life that care about you though.  It's pretty easy (especially since we've moved around so much the past few years) to feel like we don't know anyone or no one would notice if we weren't around, but then the morning a major flood hits your town, you get dozens of texts, emails, phone calls, etc. all making sure you're ok.  People asking what they can do to help you.
It also amazed me how many people were opening up their doors to those that were displaced.  Friends with animals were taken in, friends of friends were offered places to stay warm and dry, and generally people were helping each other.  Not asking for anything in return, just helping.

I don't know why it takes a major emergency to bring this out of us, but it really shouldn't.  Every once in a while, we just need a reminder to be nice for the sake of being nice I guess.  So even though wherever you're reading this, you may not be going through a disaster, just be nice.  Let's all just do that.  Make a pie for your neighbor, offer to water their plants when they're gone, help a lost person with directions.  Just be nice for the sake of being nice.


PEACH PIE
2 pie crusts
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. tapioca
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
6 c. peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
1 egg
1 Tbsp. water
sugar

1.  Combine peaches, sugar, tapioca, cinnamon and nutmeg.

2.  Place one pie crust into the bottom of a pie pan.  Fill with peach mixture.

3.  Mix together the egg and water for an egg wash.  Brush onto the rim of the bottom pie crust.  Lay the second crust on top.  Pinch together and cut vent holes.  Brush the entire top of the pie with the egg wash and sprinkle with a little sugar.

4.  Bake at 375˚ for 50-55 minutes (watch to make sure the crust does not get too brown - cover the edges if necessary).

4 comments:

  1. It's a very good point you talk about...It's too bad it takes tragedies for the good to come out of people! Food for thought :) On another note, I am STILL living vicariously through your pie making ways!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop living vicariously! You can do it, Jennie! It's fall now, time for apple pie :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your recipe, I found some fresh peaches today, and I am going to use this recipe. I also wanted to share a trick I learned with pie baking, If you coat your the bottom and sides of pie with butter/margarine it makes your pie less soggy from the juicy, yummy filling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad was telling me the same thing last time I made a peach pie at my parents' house too!

      Delete

Blogging tips