Saturday, December 22, 2012

Eggnog

I used to be one of those people that hated eggnog.  I've found that eggnog is a pretty polarizing beverage. You either love it or you hate it.  There is literally no in between.  You'll never meet anyone who is like, "yeah, eggnog - it's ok."
Well, a few years ago, I decided to give it another try and found out that I had completely switched camps.  However, I still am not a huge fan of the alcoholic version.  So when I found this recipe called "Amazingly Good Eggnog," I thought it actually said, "Surprisingly Good Eggnog."  Which, I admit, is not a very good name for a recipe, but it did pique my interest.
I made it, bottled it up and brought it to an ugly sweater party.  We didn't really know anyone at this party, but coming in with a bottle of this stuff in your hand is guaranteed to make you some new friends.  Seriously, it works.

EGGNOG
Recipe from Safeway
4 c. milk
5 whole cloves
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
12 egg yolks
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 1/2 c. light rum
4 c. light cream (2 c. half & half + 2 c. heavy cream)
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg (fresh if you have it)

1.  Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 tsp. vanilla and cinnamon in saucepan.  Over low heat, bring to a boil.  (do not scald milk)

2.  In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until light yellow in color.  Slowly, whisk hot milk mixture into eggs.  Pour mixture into saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened (about 3 minutes).  Strain and let cool for 1 hour.

3.  Stir in rum, cream, vanilla and nutmeg.  Refrigerate overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips