Thursday, March 26, 2015

Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies

One night, Austin was making bacon for some reason (as if you need a reason) and I was eating an apple with peanut butter when I had the genius (if I do say so myself) idea of dipping a strip of bacon into the peanut butter.

It was as good as it sounds.
We tend to make our cookies with a little extra sea salt on top to balance out the sweetness, so adding the salty bacon to these peanut butter cookies made all the sense in the world.

If you're thinking that maybe it doesn't actually make sense to combine the two, first of all, you're wrong, and secondly just give it a shot.  You may just be pleasantly surprised by how well the two flavors meld.

Because of the meat product, I would recommend storing them in the fridge and eating within about a week...if they last that long.  Otherwise, freeze them for later.

PEANUT BUTTER BACON COOKIES
1 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. sugar
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. peanut butter
3 c. flour
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and chopped

1.  Cream shortening and sugars.

2.  Add in salt, baking soda and eggs.  Beat until well combined.

3.  Add in vanilla, and peanut butter, then gradually stir in flour.

4.  By hand, stir in the bacon.

5.  Drop balls by the tablespoonful onto an ungreased cookie sheet then press a fork into each ball to form a cross.

6.  Bake at 400˚ for about 10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Thank-you! I have all the ingredients to make this - so I will for an Easter treat. I've just discovered Trader Joe's uncured bacon Bits and Pieces which produce lots of smokey bacon fat when cooked. So I plan to sub some of that wonderful bacon fat for some of the vegetable shortening in your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an amazing idea! I love everything that Trader Joe's sells, so I really don't think you can go wrong! Let me know how they turn out!
      xoxo
      Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips