Monday, November 12, 2012

Dutch Apple Pie

Last week, I started a new job.  Just like every time you start a new job, it was nerve-wracking and terrifying and mostly I was worried I wouldn't be dressed appropriately.
Why is that no matter how many times you've started a new job, it's still just as scary.  It's exactly like the first day of school all over again.  You're not quite sure you're going to like your class/work-mates and what if you go to the wrong room.  And, worst of all, what if you're not wearing what the cool kids are wearing?
I just wish we could all start on the second day.  Can we all put our heads together and figure out a way to make this happen.  It will be for the benefit of all.
I just wish these necessary things were easy.  I'm not asking for the best day of my life, just an easy, peaceful day.  If every first day of work were as easy as making pie, everything would be so much less scary.  

DUTCH APPLE PIE
1 pie crust
6 c. apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
3/4 c. +/- sugar (depending on how sweet the apples are)
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
Topping:
1 stick butter
1 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon

1.  Roll out pie crust in pan, set aside.

2.  In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg.  Mix until apples are coated.  Pour into pie crust.

3.  For topping: melt butter.  Stir in sugar, flour, and cinnamon.  Do not overmix, leave large crumbles.  Spread topping over apples.

4.  Bake at 375˚ for about 1 hour.

20 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I still want to stick with our traditional pies for Thanksgiving this year though. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy, thanks for sharing! It's my favorite any time of the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite time too! I love apple season :)

      Delete
  3. The Apple Pie Recipe sounds good, but I do not like the fact that when I want to print it, I also get 5 other pages that I don't really want. You should try to get it so you only get the recipe and not all the other stuff. I've printed recipes from this website before and the same thing happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion - I am still learning as I'm going, so it's definitely on my list of things to do, just have to figure out how and find the time! I'm sorry for the hassle in the meantime. Maybe you could copy and paste the recipe into a word document to print?

      Delete
    2. I agree, the printing is terrible! I just want the recipe not 5 pages!

      Delete
    3. I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. :(
      -Sarah

      Delete
    4. To only print the recipe, copy the recipe, paste it to your notebook on your computer and then print the recipe from your notebook. You can also save it to your documents from your notebook.

      Delete
    5. In your printer setting just choose which page you want to print. That should take care of it.

      Delete
  4. You can also select the "text" you wish to print and instruct your printer to print only the "selected text".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for helping out - hoping to get the "print this recipe" link up and working sometime this week because I know that would save everyone a lot of hassle.

      Delete
  5. Looks very yummy and easy! Thanks so much! I just bought Granny Smith apples, so they will be put to very good use thanks to this recipe! BTW I had no problem copying and pasting this recipe for myself. I even took the photo and easily resized it to top off the print out. E-Z P-Z printing! But I have a MAC and perhaps it's more difficult on a PC??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that you're going to try out the recipe - let me know what you think! This time of year, you 'have' to be using apples any chance you get!

      I'm glad you didn't have trouble printing - I know it's not convenient. I need to recruit the help of my fiancee who is a programmer to make it easier.

      Have a great day!!
      Sarah

      Delete
  6. Do you think I could sub-brown sugar for the reg sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! It may change the color and texture slightly, but it should be the same sweetness. Since there's molasses in brown sugar, it will have a slightly different flavor - but that's definitely not a bad thing! I love molasses :)

      Let me know how it turns out!
      Sarah

      Delete
  7. This recipe looks to be very easy to prepare, and also incredibly delicious. Since I already have everything on hand, I plan to make this pie for this weekend. I'll use 'Granny Smith' apples, and I'll also throw in a generous handfull of yellow raisins. I'm sure that this pie will turn out to be very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it! Let me know how it is with the addition of raisins :)
      xo
      Sarah

      Delete
    2. Sounds wonderful, going to make this tonight.

      Delete
    3. How did it turn out, Shirley? I hope you loved it!
      xo
      Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips