Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bread Pudding

What do you do when someone comes to the gym toting a giant box of somewhat old hot dog buns?  It's a tough decision, but if you are smart, you will grab two bags. 

These weren't your basic Sara Lee hot dog buns - these were fancy.  These were like flaky, buttery croissants on the inside with smooth, egg glazed tops.  Fancy buns for a fancy hot dog.  Well, I don't make fancy hot dogs.  I do make fancy bread pudding though.
Of course, if you don't go to a gym where people bring you boxes of carbs to offset whatever progress you are making at said gym, you could use croissants.  Hypothetically, you could use any bread that you've got but I'll let you in on a secret: croissants are way better!  I mean, croissants are better than regular bread no matter what, but I think the croissants soak up the egg/cream mixture of the bread pudding better and make for a softer, 'moister' pudding!

You know what this recipe would be perfect for?!  Thanksgiving!  and Christmas!  Perfect way to add some variety to your dessert/pie table.

BREAD PUDDING
croissants/bread
raisins
nuts, optional
4 eggs
3 c. cream
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
VANILLA CREAM SAUCE
2 c. cream
~1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. corn starch
4 Tbsp. butter
dash salt

1.  Cube your bread or if you are using croissants, slice them in half (as if you were making a sandwich) and lay it all out in a casserole dish (I used 11x7" but you could adjust to make more).  Sprinkle raisins and nuts into the mix.
2.  Mix together cream, eggs, sugar and cinnamon.  Pour mixture over the bread and use the whisk to push the cream into all of the bread.  (At this point, it will look like bread goo...pretty unappetizing really, but stick in there - it will all work out in the end.)
3.  Let the bread pudding sit while the oven heats up to 350.  (So it will all soak in.)

4.  Set up a water bath (placing the bread pudding in a 9x13" pan with water (you can also just use a jelly roll pan if you used a larger casserole).

5.  Bake for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown on top.
For the vanilla cream sauce:
1.  In a medium saucepan, warm cream.  Add vanilla and enough sugar to make it as sweet as you like it.

2.  Whisk in corn starch and continue to mix over medium heat until sauce thickens. 

3.  Stir in butter and salt.

4.  Pour over warm bread pudding!

5 comments:

  1. OHhhh my goodness this is to die for. It looks sooo good.. I am your newest follower.. If you would like to check out my blog to that would be so great, and follow me back and facebook too. I will be doing free giveaways here shortly on clothing and mineral makeup :)

    -Thanks
    Brooke
    blushboutiquestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty tasty!

    Brooke, I will definitely check out your blog and start following! Thanks for coming by and commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I use flour instead of cornstarch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could substitute flour for the corn starch...I'm not sure exactly how much it will take to get it to thicken up though. I would guess at least 2 Tablespoons? Let me know what you find out.
      -Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips