Monday, October 17, 2011

Apple Dumplings

Here it is.  Yet another apple + dough recipe.  Even though they all (apple crisp, apple pie and now apple dumplings) seem so similar...apples + cinnamon + sugar + flour...they are so different!  Each delicious in its own special way.  And this one's probably my favorite of them all. 

I remember when I was little and we would go over to my Grandma Flinn's house for dinner, my sisters and I always wanted to have apple dumplings!  For being one of my favorite things to eat of all time, you would've thought that I would have made them before now.  For some inexplicable reason, I didn't.  In fact, I waited so long before making these that I forgot what they were even.  It wasn't until I could smell them cooking in the oven that the taste came back into my mouth.  They didn't disappoint at all. 
These apple dumplings are the perfect balance of sweet and doughy.  The dumpling doesn't have any sugar in it, so all of the sweetness comes from the apples and the sauce.  If you have quite a few apples that you want to use up, you might want to double the recipe - I promise they won't go to waste.

APPLE DUMPLINGS
Recipe from Grandma Flinn
Apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
Dough:
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4 c. shortening
1/2 c milk (pour in all at once)
Sauce:
1/4 c. butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 c. sugar
2 c. cold water
1.  Mix together all of the dough ingredients. 
2.  Pinch off dough - roll in small ball.  Pull edges of dough around a few slices of apple.  Place in baking dish.  (This part I wasn't so sure about how Grandma used to do it, so I just winged it - roughly pulling the dough around to cover most of the apples but leaving a hole open in the top...as you can tell from the picture, this does not have to be perfect.)
3.  Bring butter, spices, sugar and water to a boil on the stovetop.  Pour sauce over the dumplings. 
4.  Bake at 375° for 35 minutes.
Makes 6 large or 12 small dumplings.

2 comments:

  1. Great work Sarah! I've got a few of grandma's old recipes too that I love. I can't wait to make this, I made a kick ass apple pie a few weeks back and have been craving a good apple dessert since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Colin! I'm glad I've inspired you to make them...now Missy is going to make them too, so there should be no shortage in Flinn households!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips